Author Topic: Fork Removal  (Read 1742 times)

Offline chamber66

• Moving Up
Fork Removal
« on: 12.12. 2013 18:46 »
Well we've just run in to our first problem with our plunger Gold Flash. Can't seem to get the forks off. Is there some technique, or just brute force?

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Fork Removal
« Reply #1 on: 12.12. 2013 19:04 »
G'day mate. They get locked in the top yoke taper. I use an old fork top nut screwed almost all the way in and  *bash*. Some penetrating oil and heat (not too much) may help. Remove the bottom pinch bolt and wedge it a tad.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #2 on: 12.12. 2013 22:09 »
Probably worth a forum search on this topic Chamber66, there has been lots of discussion and pointers about this,and also about removing the circlip that holds the bushes in place. Not sure if you have the lower legs off yet, if not you may need that info  *smile*

Offline chamber66

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 13.12. 2013 09:23 »
Probably worth a forum search on this topic Chamber66, there has been lots of discussion and pointers about this,and also about removing the circlip that holds the bushes in place. Not sure if you have the lower legs off yet, if not you may need that info  *smile*
Did a search, but didn't find much.?

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 13.12. 2013 10:53 »
Stik at it Chamber66, the way Musky described is the standard trusted method ,If you get the old fork nut just clear of tight ,so you could move the washer ,lots of easing oil and a solid bang from a heavy hammer will free it ( I do remember a post about a year ago of a very awkward one but eventually the guy got it done )and I've never damaged a fork leg . The old nut later should be kept and modified to make your own special fork replacement tool using a length of stud iron washers and nuts and for any future fork work. Mine sits fitted to a rafter awaiting it's next use, Best of luck BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #5 on: 14.12. 2013 09:28 »
Hmmm, I just tried a "front fork" search plus a couple of others and agree with Chamber66, nothing really popped wrt all the chatter we had on the forum some months ago about fork rebuild. There was lots of discussion about getting the fork legs out of the head stock and also the circlip removal. I just backtracked a no. of pages to see if anything jogged my memory but nothing did  *ex* *conf*.
Does anybody else recollect all that and can remember what it came under? I'm sure that Chamber66 would benefit from a quick read....

Offline chamber66

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 15.12. 2013 13:10 »
That's the problem with searching. you either get very little or pages and pages  *smile*

Anyway they are free now. We use a special method that not a lot of people know how to do. You hit it very gently with a big F*$*% NG
 hammer  *work*
Just need to start spending money now. So no holidays next year then *sad2*

Offline Flatboy 1950

• A's Good Friend
    • Flat Earth Spares
« Reply #7 on: 15.12. 2013 13:43 »
Here is the correct tool to remove & replace BSA fork tubes.
The fine thread & large nut is for pulling tubes into place.
Bottom thread screws into fork tube , leaving the round bar in the hole , give the top a smack with a decent hammer for removal.