Author Topic: Rigid Axle plates  (Read 787 times)

Offline Nourish

• A's Good Friend
Rigid Axle plates
« on: 16.12. 2013 20:34 »
I've been busy out in the garage making up some frame lugs to go with the lower frame forgeing that came with a centre stand I bought.
Now to make a replica Rigid subframe to go onto my plunger frame I need to make the some axle plates - Does anyone have a Rigid frame/subframe up on the bench with the back wheel out that they could draw around the axle plates on a piece of card or paper, scan and e mail me along with a few dimensions?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/nourish_01/IMG_4968.jpg

Also I need to get some 1" tubing from somewhere - does anyone know how to bend it once I've made up a jig?
All help gratefully received
Cheers

img tags removed, see http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2545.msg55083#msg55083

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rigid Axle plates
« Reply #1 on: 16.12. 2013 20:57 »
I once bent some motorcycle, (thin wall) tube by filling it with sand, (from the fire bucket), tamped it well in a bit at a time and then used the oxyacetalene torch to heat the pipe. Shook the sand out afterwards. Worked fine.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 17.12. 2013 12:01 »
I've used the same method has Graybeard on copper pipes without any probs , may be worth visiting a plumbers merchant to see what sizes they can supply bending springs in ,Iknow they do 15mm and 22mm but there may be other sizes available. Using them you bend to required bend ,then slightly past ,then return to exact spot and the spring drops out of the tube , or I suppose you could hire ,blag a pipebending jig ?? regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Briz

• A's Good Friend
  • West Norfolk UK
    • Custom cycle developments
« Reply #3 on: 17.12. 2013 19:41 »
If you use a decent wall-thickness, say 10g, you can heat-bend without filling. The bends you'll want wont be that much of an angle.
Mark with chalk the location of the bend, stick it in the vice and warm up so you have about 3-4" of it cherry red (not bright red or orange!) then pull round to suit. It wont start to collapse until you get to at least 30 degrees. If it does, squash it back to roundness in the vice. Try it on a test piece first till  you get the hang of it.

How much tube do you need? I have some left in stock, but not a huge amount. Wont be ordering more till the new year.
Could bend it for you if you give me details.

Offline Nourish

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 17.12. 2013 23:21 »
Thanks for the offer Briz - If I fail then I will keep you in mind. I'll see what I can source here in Bristol and have a go, RGS-Bill's advice of tacking a radius to a steel workbench as a form seems like a good idea, the bottom rails have quite a large radius-looks quite challenging.
 Today I bought (anyone that knows me wouldn't believe that bit) a couple of pieces of box section to make up a jig-although not as fancy as this one - http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=895836
Thanks every one for there input
-Cheers

Offline Briz

• A's Good Friend
  • West Norfolk UK
    • Custom cycle developments
« Reply #5 on: 18.12. 2013 01:04 »
If you're in Bristol, you should go talk to ol' Blackjack. His shop is there somewhere. Dont have contact details.
He's the bloke who does the tech articles in BSH & 100% biker.
He has a pretty impressive tube bending machine.