Author Topic: Is this possible? (mag missing brush)  (Read 361 times)

Offline berger

• Resident Legend
  • keith from chesterfield 500ss cafe morris 8
Re: Is this possible? (mag missing brush)
« Reply #15 on: 08.11. 2019 10:05 »
don't do as I did when having the same problem as you, spent a lot on mag refurb only to find out  later it was the points that were duff and not the internals of the mag

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #16 on: 08.11. 2019 15:35 »
don't do as I did when having the same problem as you, spent a lot on mag refurb only to find out  later it was the points that were duff and not the internals of the mag

I suppose that a failed condenser also has an influence on the points lifetime or am I wrong here?
Always thought the condenser was there to prevent the points from arcing when opening and closing or isn't that the case on a maggy?
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #17 on: 08.11. 2019 16:40 »
'Tis very much the case morris, and arcing will eat into the points quite fast if it starts. I guess that's why in the old days when you bought a fresh set of points for your typical family car every few thousand miles, many routine service kits came with a new condenser, whether it was needed or not. Happy Days!
Bill

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 08.11. 2019 18:24 »

Apart from any A10 magneto issues, or only ever had two condensers conclusively fail- one on the Hilux and one on the Gutzzi,  but don't remember ever replacing one before that..... but they both needed them big time
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia