Author Topic: Shims big End shells ???  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Shims big End shells ???
« Reply #15 on: 16.01. 2014 12:02 »
I recollect reading, way way back about a taxi driver who ran an aluminium bodied cab - even further way way back I would presume. Even with a fare aboard, at signs of clatter from the engine he would drop the sump - complete with its oil, unbolt the rod caps then tin snip new shells directly from the body, bolt them in, pop the sump back on and head off with passengers still aboard.

Or is that one of those apocryphatic tales that I've latched on to somewhere?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 25.01. 2014 18:43 »
Hi there!

Just thought I'd say that my crankshaft is submitted to an expert for grinding. :) About £ 120 it costs.

Offline JulianM

• A's Good Friend
  • www.historiccompetitionservices.be
    • Historic Competition Services
« Reply #17 on: 29.01. 2014 07:22 »
Wise move.  *smile*

good luck with the build

julian
52 Ducati Cucciolo Race bike 50cc
64 Triumph TR6 SS
67 Triumph 100C
67 ILO Race Bike  50cc
71 Sachs Race Bike  50cc
71 Laverda 750SF,
71 Laverda/Egli 750SF, Race bike,
71 Norton Commando 750 Roadster,
71 Norton Commando 750 SS
75 Laverda 3C,
75 Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk0,
76 Beta Cross TR6  50cc
80 Ducati 900 MHR,
81 Yamaha RD350LC

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 19.02. 2014 03:51 »
and I thought I could bodge when I was younger  *smile*

That shimming idea takes some beating for sure  ;)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #19 on: 28.02. 2014 03:22 »
Every bike from Burma I have seen is the same.
Old tin cans under the slippers which in most cases had worn through the white metal & was running on the backing material ( not pretty )
One A 65 was running with a main bearing that was .25" undersize, and this bike was hauling a double adult chair.
The piston skirts had been centerpunched many times and finally had holes drilled in them with slots underneath so the skirt could be bent out,
Only 1 compression ring, from a car so the grove was widened to the point it almost raan into the 2nd ring grove
And yet it was running when the owner bought it & he rode it for one season then decided somthing was not wuite "right" so decided to pull it down & have a look.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #20 on: 22.03. 2014 17:23 »
P.S.   ...and rod bolts replaced.

Hi

Is it stupid to run with the old bolts?

What is the difference between the various bolts Dragonfly sell? Gets a little spooked by the price 67-1536 £ 19.04 EACH : ( 67-1059 11.7 pounds still : (
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/accessories-a-misc/product/14060-

Where can you buy new bolts at good price?

Look how shiny and nice :)
Soon I hope that I'll have enough time to start assembling :)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 22.03. 2014 18:00 »
Bolts at £20 quid a throw X4 = £80 , not cheap but they are not your standard bolt

if one snaps you need an engine rebuild and possibly a long haul sourcing at least one side of the crankcase - cost = much more than £80

if the engine blows and locks the transmission throwing you off - £80 suddenly becomes  reasonable
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 23.03. 2014 14:35 »
:-) Ok, I'll buy new bolts :-) Are there different qualities? Or dare to buy anywhere?

Is it common for the connecting rods or the big end bolts break?

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #23 on: 23.03. 2014 16:29 »
Are there different qualities?
There should not be, but there are. Before you buy ask the seller the following two questions. Are the bolts forged, and are the threads rolled threads? A while back properly made bolts were hard to find. Indeed when I rebuilt my engine, the only bolts available were Triumph bolts sold by SRM. The bolts were the correct material specification but slightly to short. The SRM solution was to machine a small amount of material from the bearing cap. The problem was caused by U.K. manufacturers being unwilling to undertake to manufacture bolts unless the order was going to be for thousands of them. Eventually, somebody had some made in America where there seemed to be an entirely different attitude. Do not under any circumstances opt to use bolts that have been made by any kind of machining process. In particular cut threads will induce stress risers that will cause the bolts to fail. I cannot emphasise how crucialy important this is.
John

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 23.03. 2014 16:43 »
Are there different qualities?
There should not be, but there are. Before you buy ask the seller the following two questions. Are the bolts forged, and are the threads rolled threads? A while back properly made bolts were hard to find. Indeed when I rebuilt my engine, the only bolts available were Triumph bolts sold by SRM. The bolts were the correct material specification but slightly to short. The SRM solution was to machine a small amount of material from the bearing cap. The problem was caused by U.K. manufacturers being unwilling to undertake to manufacture bolts unless the order was going to be for thousands of them. Eventually, somebody had some made in America where there seemed to be an entirely different attitude. Do not under any circumstances opt to use bolts that have been made by any kind of machining process. In particular cut threads will induce stress risers that will cause the bolts to fail. I cannot emphasise how crucialy important this is.
John

Can you or any other recommend a seller?

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #25 on: 23.03. 2014 17:43 »
I would contact Draganfly to check the specification of the bolts that they are selling. At the price you mentioned the bolts should be the correct ones, but do ask before buying.

SRM appear to have them in stock.  Con Rods Big End Bolts & Shells - SRM Engineering
www.srmclassicbikes.com › Home › SRM Special Products
Fits A7 A10 A5 A65 Large and small journal type conrods. Best quality bolts available. Big end bolt for High strength alloy rods, UNF. CODE: ALLOY-ROD-BOLT.   srm@srmclassicbikes.com

Lightning Spares Lightning-spares@lightning-spares.co.uk  Another source to try is Lightning Spares  Lightning-spares@lightning-spares.co.uk

Offline Marqs1979

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #26 on: 25.03. 2014 12:04 »
Hi!
Is Lf harris parts, parts that i can trust???