Author Topic: The classic race  (Read 1124 times)

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
The classic race
« on: 15.01. 2014 17:52 »
Great start (reminder to take care of that small fuel leak...)

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: The classic race
« Reply #1 on: 15.01. 2014 19:32 »
So is that what they mean when they say it was a blistering start?
The only real inherent problem with motorcycles. All that heat and sparks so close to the fuel.
Lucky he wasn't running methanol, you can't see the flame from that.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Best Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #2 on: 15.01. 2014 21:11 »
Wow !!!! that is   SCARY !!!!    could this conceivably happen to me ?? , as my bike has never had a carburetor drip shield in the 40 years I have owned it, it was missing when I received the bike.  So you fellas more in the know comment on this being able to happen to me because of no drip shield.  I am very careful about drips and fix right away, and am always conscious of where the magneto is in relation ship to the gas. All suggestions gratefully received ..

BILL
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 15.01. 2014 21:37 »
could this conceivably happen to me
Yes, but very probably not, with a dose of common sense, decent maintenance & inspections, a normal sense of smell, one should be able to avoid this :O)

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 15.01. 2014 22:12 »
The only real inherent problem with motorcycles. All that heat and sparks so close to the fuel.

My 1929 Austin Seven had its petrol tank under the bonnet above the driver and passengers knees!

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 15.01. 2014 22:24 »
My 1929 Austin Seven had its petrol tank under the bonnet above the driver and passengers knees!

Early beetles where like that to. I remember an old police officer telling a story about a beetle on fire with the driver stuck behind the wheel. He said that after all these years he can still hear the poor man scream
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 16.01. 2014 06:36 »
G'day Bill.
As a10gf said. If you tickle the carb when cold and no drip tray the fuel ends up on the mag. If that's not clean and spark free it's possible to have "great balls of fire". I don't have a drip tray on my '51 but she's got Boyer.
I had a fire a while back on the A65 from a backfire. No air filters and fooling around with the carbs for a while with a bit of fuel around.
 I saw an A10 parked idling out the front of a shop go up once. Must have been a flooding carb.
Cheers
PS. My first car was a beetle. Wrapped it around a power pole doing 60 MPH. The pole ended up where the VW emblem is on the bonnet just in front of the windscreen. Fuel everywhere, lucky I didn't have the radio (old tube type) on at the time.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Best Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
Fireball on the starting line
« Reply #7 on: 16.01. 2014 19:47 »
Thanks Musky, and all of the other fellas who responded, I am going to re-think the fuel magneto relationship, without a drip tray for 40+ years.  One thing I have noticed is that I do not get any gas down on top of the magneto when tickling for cold starts, because I only hold the button down until my finger barely gets wet with gas, and because I run double thick (2) soft type carb  spacers between the carb and manifold, any fuel that does drip down misses the magneto, it tends to go behind it towards the rear tire instead. 

Does anyone have any Info on how this fella in the race, that turns into a huge fireball, did as far as getting injured or badly burned ??  Some one must know what happened to this poor fella ??  I am just guessing the wiring, and maybe the fuel tank, and tires or one tire, and all lines like oil feed and fuel   WERE TOAST !!

BILL
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline Dean

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #8 on: 23.01. 2014 21:49 »

My 1932 BSA is the same. But I get the benefit of seeing the confused look on the face of younger drivers at filling stations when I stick the petrol filler nozzle under the bonnet *smile*
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 24.01. 2014 11:09 »
Hi Bill ,had my first A10 go up ,nowhere has bad as that but scared the life out of me all the same and yes it was 'caused by exactly what "e" listed , got complacent forgot to tighten the fueline and she backfired, did I move ,to close to your nuts for comfort , equally luckily was able to snatch the tank off and turn the taps of ,quite a fire storm with flying burning petrol spraying round but min damage was done to the bike ,and I rode it home,slightly singed ,hopefully a little wiser but very very grateful to be so lucky and also that I was wearing those old exwd gauntlets. 
Can't believe the VW had a tank fitted where you and Musky say ,Crazy  ,almost has bad as fitting a "gravity" tank over the engine and in front of the pilots in spitfires and hurricanes which accounts for the terrible burns they suffered , regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 24.01. 2014 12:02 »

When I was a younger youngster, my neighbours who had the local garage had a 'A' model Ford, we used it as a bush basher- it had the fuel tank below the windscreen between the dash and the engine, no probs no matter how much we crashed it.
   My ex had a couple of beetles, no probs with them either (in that regard), guess it depends how shi..aaah, things happen....??

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia