Author Topic: front wheel hub identification,gold star ?  (Read 3277 times)

Offline mike68

• Active
front wheel hub identification,gold star ?
« on: 28.01. 2014 22:25 »
hi,could anybody help me identify this front hub off my a10 1960,i think its off a gold star but unsure id so and what year as i am going to replace to front brake to tls thanks (hope the picture comes out)

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: front wheel hub identification,gold star ?
« Reply #1 on: 28.01. 2014 22:46 »
Hi Mike,
From your photo I cannot see if there are cooling fins on the hub ?
It looks to me that the hub fitted is a modified  non finned type that was fitted to M21's and some early 650's, B33's??
These hubs are steel rather than the cast Gold Star type, normally the GS type has more smaller holes in between the large diamater ones
The "proper" GS hubs have 1 1/4in. wide shoes, later very similar hubs have 1 3/8in. wide shoes these were fitted to A65's and some B 441
The 8 inch single sided finned hub is regarded as the best brake that BSA made
There were period TLS brake plates made for them, rare enough now and much sought after
I will try to remember to photo the finned hubs tomorrow as I have both types in the workshop

If you wish to fit the 8in. full width hub and Triumph type TLS brake you will need to change the fork sliders and maybe the mudguard brackets, the anchor slot/ lug will need modifying too

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline mike68

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 28.01. 2014 23:29 »
hi john thanks for you info,as far as i can tell the hub is made of steel and has 2" holes and has no fins( but would like to see your picture) but can't tell the width as still fitted to the bike.i have got the tls brake but i have some fork sliders but the mudguard bracket studs have been cut off so trying to decide how to repair as i think you can't drill them deep enough to tap them out or can i cut the collars off and make replacements and weld back on but will this not work as it will damage the inside of the slider from welding cheers mike

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #3 on: 29.01. 2014 00:00 »
Mike,
 1960 type fork sliders only have a mudguard stay to the rear, unlike most of the through axle type sliders which have stays front and rear.

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline mike68

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 29.01. 2014 00:13 »
the spare ones i have are like you say have a bracket on the rear by the spindle but the problem with them is at the top as the two stud are broken off flush and unsure how to sought this out.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #5 on: 29.01. 2014 01:21 »
can you post a picture? am struggling to visualise the studs on a slider...
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 29.01. 2014 09:48 »
My bike has the hub with the holes that John mentions...well, the smaller ones anyway. In use, I've found it really quite good, a lot better than I was expecting it to be! Incidentally, I think Phil Pearson still makes a TLS conversion for both widths of 8" hub.....not cheap however!

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 29.01. 2014 11:35 »
My experience of the 8" singlesider is that it is really quite good ,in the past I've owned A's with the Ariel hubs and the 8" full width and for a short time a true goldie has described by john .Of all these my pref is the 8" s/sider. Incidentally my goldie front brake " disappeared " from my bike after I hit a bus , the bike was shipped off by a police instructed dealer and when I went to see it 2 days later the front wheel was missing !! talk about adding insult to injury !! shows they were pretty well thought off even then ( 1967) .
On my present bike the brake made my forks dive so much that I fitted damper rods and now much better after the first run of the year it really works well .regards BobH.

" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 29.01. 2014 17:51 »
Hi Mike
Attached photos of the two types of hubs,
It may be easier to hold onto the single sided set up?? and look for an A65 hub and TLS plate
Works for me ;) ;)
The hubs I have are destined for my B33/goldie project and a friends DBD

Regards
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)