Author Topic: Scary forks  (Read 4694 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Scary forks
« Reply #15 on: 31.01. 2014 14:34 »
Bob,

Did you mean that the leg came all the way off? With the circlip in place the leg will slide down until the upper bush meets the lower, then stop, as I'm sure you well know. The point I'm trying to get to is that losing the circlip does not have to destroy the bushes for handling trouble to pop up, as the upper would be up out of the leg and doing nothing. The bottom would eventually see damage, but it wouldn't be the root cause of the handling issue. (Reading this, if it sounds like I'm in some way sure of myself it's because I'm a good bluffer.) So, ultimately, you're saying Mt. Olympus is brimming with circlips, right?

Richard L.

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #16 on: 31.01. 2014 15:06 »
At least the problem was obvious  *smile*. I have ordered some more bushes as I will be dropping the forks so it would be a good time to do them while I am there.

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 31.01. 2014 19:49 »
Don't forger to shim the bushes for end float.  Took my forks apart many years ago and the leg cam out of the fork bottom.   The bottom bush retainer had come unscrewed! 

What do folks use instead of twine to seal the threads of the fork oil seal holders, PTFE tape?

ATB
Keith
'59 A10RR + Second engine

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 31.01. 2014 20:55 »
What do folks use instead of twine to seal the threads of the fork oil seal holders, PTFE tape?

I'm so sorry. I hadn't heard about the serious twine shortage being experienced in the U.K. Our prayers are with you.  *smile* >:D

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 31.01. 2014 21:01 »
To seal Fork Holders PTFE tape was my choice years ago, but with liquid based thread sealer,s readily available now these should prove more reliable. Its knowing how much tape to use and also the correct way to apply, my own preference is now to use silicon sealant.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 31.01. 2014 21:07 »

I'm so sorry. I hadn't heard about the serious twine shortage being experienced in the U.K. Our prayers are with you.  *smile* >:D

Not so much a shortage, you can get various lengths, but can't find the metric equivalent!

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #21 on: 31.01. 2014 22:47 »
PM me, I'll send you some in exchange for a string of imperial *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline gavinoz

• A's Good Friend
  • Dogs & Sheep hate smokers worse than Hondas.
« Reply #22 on: 01.02. 2014 08:17 »
 *clap* *clap*
Brill. A good chuckle, just what I needed.
gav
Rigid A7S, 57 A10 in pieces
Australia

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 01.02. 2014 09:48 »
PM me, I'll send you some in exchange for a string of imperial *smile*
I bet you are just stringing me along!

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 01.02. 2014 10:46 »
OK I'll say it  - knot a problem use ptfe  *red*

Sisal twine is hard to get these days as it's all made from polypropylene or some such (speaking from a farm baler perspective)

pretty sure there will be a Loctite product designed for sealing but still allow removal

BTW I've tried several times to make a tool for removing the seals without success, eventually bought one and it's magic, probably a reflection on my metalwork skills (or lack of)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #25 on: 01.02. 2014 22:05 »
I bet you are just stringing me along!

Who? Me??? Never..... ;)

Edited;
I think you are referring to Loctite thread sealant, Bill.
At least that's what I'm using. But that's mostly because I love the smell of this stuff
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #26 on: 02.02. 2014 17:38 »
Just checked out the head bearings couldn't detect play but they looked rough so decided in for a dollar in for a pound. These are tapered and are a complete b*****d esp the bottom cup to get out. I had to use the trusty dremel to cut it out.

[/URL][/img]

[imghttp://][/img]

[imghttp://][/img]

Any one know a good supplier I know SRM do but any where else

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 02.02. 2014 18:12 »
But that's mostly because I love the smell of this stuff

If you find yourself wandering around with it in a brown paper bag Morris , help is available

Loctite thread sealant - so it seals without locking is that right, great I did not know for sure if it was made, got to get me some, Cheers
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 02.02. 2014 18:25 »
"Loctite thread sealant - so it seals without locking is that right, great I did not know for sure if it was made, got to get me some"

From my understanding, Loctite "hardens" when air is exclude such as around a thread or bearing.  When it "goes hard"  surely it must "lock the thread".  The only variable is how well it locks it which will depend on the grade of Loctite or how well the preparation has been.  When used as a sealant, the same action will apply?  Have I missed something?

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 02.02. 2014 18:39 »
Have I missed something?

Hope so KeithJ
 Yes Loctite are famous for stuff that stops studs nuts and bearing from coming out, and they do make differing grades of the stuff as you say.
You will probably know what I'm talking about when I say you can get studs with a rubberisde sort of stuff on the ends that makes them mildly self locking, I had a bottle of this that you simply painted on the end of a stud before screwing it in, the bottle got broke in one of my drawers (made a hell of a mess) and I have not been able to find it again (came off Ebay)
It did not set hard and I thought if anyone made stuff like that it might be Loctite, it does not have to set hard to stop oil leaking down a thread after all PTFE tape does not set hard but is not always easy to apply to a fine thread
All the best - Bill