Author Topic: Is this us ??  (Read 1004 times)

Offline pato08

• A's Best Friend
  • A Work In Progress
Is this us ??
« on: 29.01. 2014 04:45 »
 Just found this, and thought of most guys on this page.

Pato
Good Advice
No reactions
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Re: Is this us ??
« Reply #1 on: 29.01. 2014 05:38 »
Hmmmm... it does have a ring of truth to it...   *whistle*
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #2 on: 29.01. 2014 09:37 »
This actually happened to me a few years ago.

I sold a A65 BSA to a old bloke who wanted to restore it, he paid the $1200 I was asking and took the bike and that was the last I saw or heard of him or the bike.

About three years later I got a phone call from his wife informing me he had died and she didnt want he bike and did I want to buy it back for what her late husband had paid me for it.

She told me she found the original receipt and that was how she got my phone number, anyway if I would give her the $750 back I could have it. !

I never gave him a receipt but apparently he wrote one out himself and as he didnt want her to know how much he had paid for it wrote one out for the $750.

So me being a nice fellow happily gave her the $750.

She was happy and so was I !
Good Advice
No reactions

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 29.01. 2014 11:49 »
A while back I was worried I wasn't going to be around much longer. I started writing prices on some of my spare parts. SWMBO knows what the bikes are worth.
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #4 on: 29.01. 2014 18:43 »
We were out for a Club luncheon  (the Club name shall remain anonymous to protect the guilty), which included out better halves. For some reason the topic got round to "purchase price vs Current market value". Of course, a mate explained that his was a reasonable purchase some years ago at £450. Unfortunately he'd originally told his wife, who was sat next to him for lunch, he'd payed the princely sum of £50. Much decorating was done thereafter.

Also, the inverse of this. When a mate went to look at a neglected Triumph he offered the chap a miserely £500. The vendors response to this was  "...really, I was thinking more like...£350" - deal done.

Perhaps we could have a central repository where we could safely store the original purchase, spares, labour receipts etc. and when the time eventually arrives the true market cost of our hobby could be revealed to our next of kin? We would need to ensure that whoever held these precious artifacts was totally trustworthy or we'd also find ourselves glued to the wallpaper pasting table!

Anyway, this year's expenditure for front fork refurbishment (not for the BSA) was £4.50 or was it £45 or even £450 I just can't quite remember?
Good Advice
No reactions
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.01. 2014 11:22 »
My A10 still remains my most expensive bike overall. And it will be a looooong time before I could consider selling. I have all of the receipts and have never quite had the mojo to add them all up. I'd be too embarrassed even to expose the depth of my stupidity here.

Looks great and rides lovely though. Gives me a smile every time.
Good Advice
No reactions
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 30.01. 2014 14:29 »
I recall, some time ago, one member advised "burn all receipts." Not bad advice, really. Keeping them for the next of kin to establish value probably won't much change what the bike or parts bring versus just telling your heir the costs while you're kickin'. Additionally, if they see receipts after you go, you risk your legacy being "he was a crazy old idiot" versus "he loved his motorcycle and now we'll find it a good home." Anyway, no need confusing them when they discover there is no chance of recouping cost. Finally, keeping all the receipts and totalling them some time later, after you're done with the build, might just cause the heart attack that spawns the inheritance.

Richard L.
Good Advice
No reactions
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #7 on: 30.01. 2014 15:56 »
^^^
"he was a crazy old idiot" versus "he loved his motorcycle and now we'll find it a good home."
lol+++
Good Advice
No reactions

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 30.01. 2014 18:59 »
keeping all the receipts and totalling them some time later, after you're done with the build, might just cause the heart attack that spawns the inheritance.
Yes I stopped doing that when the A7SS racer got over $25K, there were a few rebuilds after that too  *eek*
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: 30.01. 2014 20:34 »
Perhaps we could have a central repository where we could safely store the original purchase, spares, labour receipts etc. and when the time eventually arrives the true market cost of our hobby could be revealed to our next of kin?

Not such a good idea I think. That would lead to my dead body found in some back alley stripped of all items that could identify me.....
Good Advice
No reactions
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium