Author Topic: Big wet  (Read 2277 times)

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Big wet
« on: 07.02. 2014 05:45 »
I hope all who tucked their bikes away for the English winter put them HIGH..
The flooding your now copping doesn't look good...  I hope ALL are safe.
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Big wet
« Reply #1 on: 07.02. 2014 08:55 »
Thankfully nothing up here (North) like there having down South

Our masters saved a few million by not dredging (cuase were skint) but suddenly found 130 million when the results hit TV screens.
Perhaps I'm being unkind, how were they to know flood pans might flood when it rains *doh*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 07.02. 2014 09:20 »
Had some dampness across the floor of my garage last weekend I had to dry out. Just ingress from the constant fall - I'm on high enough ground otherwise.

I actually spent Xmas week on higher ground looking out across the Somerset levels and it was all pretty much under water then. Got to ride in and out on my Sportster - which was quite sporting.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 07.02. 2014 11:17 »
Wozza, its the same here on the west coast in Sefton, lots of rain, Farm fields very very wet but thankfully nothing like Somerset ,really feel for the people there ,having experienced being flooded once many years ago which resulted in being out of house for 6 mths , worst I have had in our new home is ,thanfully, some water under the garage door ,found that the end of the drive dips towards the garage ???..
Bill I was down on the foreshore Sunday AM walking Son's super soft and extremley stupid labradour ,I've lived within 250 yds of the sea here  from '74 to 2 yrs ago and I haven't ever seen the tide as high ,the sand dunes/coast defense had beed breached in one place right onto the prom and there were breakers coming in that you could have surfed on ! Tto give an idea of normal depthhere , it's the beach with Anthonys Gormleys Iron men on it ,they are mostly 6 ft tall and you can see there heads at high tide ,that day they were well under ! Would you believe that with the sea running like that I spotted 2 people walking along the weather side of the dunes towards and area already covered ,bonkers ,luckily they scooted back sharpish once they'd seen how far in the tide had reached but could have been dangerous. Cheers Bobh
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #4 on: 07.02. 2014 11:21 »
Thoughts have to go out to those down in the Somerset Levels which is mostly below sea level. The area is kept dry under normal circumstances with giant pumps running constantly but the recent rain has overwhelmed them. There are some there who have been flooded since before Christmas.
It is pretty bad down here in Kent in certain areas near rivers but I am fairly fortunate and live on higher ground close to the edge of Romney Marsh which is a large area of lowland next to the sea, the majority of which is below sea level. It is very wet where I live but at least the water has somewhere to go as Romney Marsh acts like a giant flood plain.
Let's hope that this crazy weather does not become the norm in future!

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 07.02. 2014 12:29 »
Yep it's been exceptional Bob but seems to be happening more often or is it just reported more often

I have (somewhere) a 1953/54 year book that I got at Christmas of that year (it was coronation year, Hillary/ Tensing topped Everest, Newcastle won the FA cup) part of the book shows massive floods but I cannot recall where

Fool that I am I've followed Newcastle ever since

PS funny how opinion changes, up here Mr Gormleys Angel was rediculed by many - now it's a cherished Geordie monument, I always likes it even if the wings are funny
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 07.02. 2014 16:29 »
Those floods in 1953-54 were on the east coast Lincolnshire Norfolk area and I believe over 300 people died. I live in North East England and while we have had  a lot of rain nothing like the South West. As regards the Angel of The North have never liked it am not a fan of all this modern contemporary art particularly most of what is displayed in the Baltic  on the Gateshead quayside. I remember taking my late mother up to see the Angel not long after it was erected and her only comment was "well it might look a bit better when they paint it". She couldn't understand why it was being left to go rusty.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 07.02. 2014 17:53 »
HI All
Floods at the start of the week in Cork
Is there anywhere else in the World where the people have such humour ??  *good3*

http://entertainment.ie/wtf/Watch-Man-takes-swim-down-Oliver-Plunkett-St-in-Cork-as-flooding-continues/240476.htm

Cheers
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: 07.02. 2014 18:49 »
It was January 1953. Also the Dutch province of Zeeland suffered significantly.
Don't know the exact figures, but there was a lot of casualty. Still a big trauma in Holland.
It was an exceptional combination of high tides and a north western storm that pushed the seawaters in the funnel formed by the English and Dutch coast so the water had nowhere to go but inland.
Also some Belgian areas where flooded at that time.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: 07.02. 2014 18:57 »
HI All
Floods at the start of the week in Cork
Is there anywhere else in the World where the people have such humour ??  *good3*
Mmmm, Cork, ain't that the birthplace of Rory Gallagher?
Couldn't exactly call him sain ain't it.....but thank god for that!
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 07.02. 2014 19:43 »
Hi Morris,
Close but no cigar !!!
Rory was born in Donegal but grew up in Cork,
Crowleys music shop where he bought his famous Fender Strat
went into Liquidation a couple of months ago, it had been open since 1926
Rory is well commerated in Cork and Donegal

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #11 on: 07.02. 2014 22:29 »
Oops... just noticed my typing error. Should have said "sane" instead of "sain" of course *red*
Rory is well commerated in Cork and Donegal
And rightly so!
I often find A Million Miles Away wandering through my head when riding around on twisting country lanes.
He was a great man!

'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #12 on: 10.02. 2014 11:50 »
Got Sky & BBC news here, looks dramatic.

Unbalanced world we live in, some countries they'd kill to get some water, other places they'd do anything to get rid of it. And when there is some large fire somewhere, the rain comes in a completely different country that does not want it.

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 10.02. 2014 12:01 »
My Father was on National Service in '53 - from which he was heavily involved in flood defences up in Norfolk that year.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza