Author Topic: Helicoil Confessions  (Read 2441 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Helicoil Confessions
« Reply #15 on: 14.02. 2014 18:59 »
squaring the heads to slant won't work
Quite right Richard, no I was thinking of somehow matching the shoulder in the cover hole to the head of the bolt - not sure how it would be done
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 17.02. 2014 16:06 »
Ah Manosound I think you do wise and enlightened pretty well... my grasp on wise is as follows... wise blokes learn from the mistakes of others, the average bloke learns from his own mistakes, and the fool learns nothing. He knows it all anyway. So I be thinking that you are gleaning quite a bit from others here on the forum (and us from you) and that you are pretty well enlightened as to how to resolve a problem.... the main reason many of us turn to this excellent forum so often.

Hopefully your confession has resulted in a wiser and more enlightened enthusiast who will keep on keeping on. You have certainly helped many of us. Thanks mate.

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 19.02. 2014 02:51 »
I wont comment because I recently finished my A10 and for some reason forgot to change the check valve. It wet sumps like mad and having finished running it in I am now going to take it apart again all for a stupid ball and spring  *sad2*

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 04.03. 2014 22:03 »
Well, contrary to my claim that I could let it go until the next rebuild, I am going ahead with fixing the helicoils. Still seems like plenty of winter left to go, here in Chicagoland.

When I screwed these up (no pun intended), I was definitely rushing, so as not to impose too much on my friend with the drill press. So, in order to do the fix, I finally broke down and bought my own; a cheap but, I think, nice little bench-top model. What the hell was I waiting for?

The one-by-one approach is pretty basic: remove the bad helicoil; redrill the hole perpendicular; re-tap the hole with the tap in the drill press, turning the chuck by hand; install new helicoil with plenty of blue Loctite while holding as close to perpendicular as possible. 

When doing the test run for this method, I learned a couple of interesting (to me, at least) things about helicoils. First, I had to be sure the bottom turn of wire just beyond where the tang breaks was supported by thread and not occuring where the angled hole ran away from the coil, otherwise, the coil can distort when breaking off the tang. Second, not critical to the fix, but I found that when removing an existing helicoil by using an awl on the top thread, the wire bends inward in a way that basically forms a tang on top, allowing me to use the coil inserter as a remover. By grinding a knick beyond this new tang, the coil can be reused. I'm not reusing them, but could if I had to. 

Enough with the blather, here are the photos. It's pretty embarrasing how bad the original job was, but I'm pretty happy with the fix.

Richard L. 

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #19 on: 04.03. 2014 22:27 »
Nice job Richard.
You certainly won't regret the investment. I bought a similar drill press some time ago. Already came in very handy a couple of times.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #20 on: 04.03. 2014 22:49 »
Looks great, and straight. Congrats.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #21 on: 05.03. 2014 16:17 »
Nice job Richard ,  "wise and enlightened " fits well, like the drill press ,just got an old stand myself ,nowhere as posh as yours but am looking forward to using it  regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 05.03. 2014 17:16 »
Bob,

The "posh" stand on which my drill-press sits is two old bedroom night stands stacked up. The drill press is a model from Ryobi which, I believe, is made exclusively for Home Depot: US$129.00; five speeds and includes a laser locator. Perfect, for the cheap likes of me.

Richard L.

EDIT: Just realized, maybe in the UK a drill press is a "stand".