Author Topic: What replacement tyres (tires) were most popular in early 1960's?  (Read 655 times)

Offline xib34

• Moving Up
I have a 1962 Gold Star Spitfire Scrambler that was converted to a kind of sporty road bike way back then. Someone removed a lot of the sheet metal, made some nice custom brackets, parts, and fenders, etc. and installed real nice Italian Borani aluminum rims, 18 inch rear and 19 front. There was a Continental tire on the rear and a Dunlop on the front when I got it. I put an Avon Speedmaster on the front because the Dunlop was old, now the Continital is old and cracked so I'm thinking put a Avon SM (Safety Milege) there. But would like to keep it in character with the modified bike and use what guys in the 60's ran most. I think Dunlop were popular, but wern't Avons also?

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

now the Continital is old and cracked
You'd have to call that an ' incontinental '...?? *eek*

I reckon in the sixties (or whenever) they would've used the best tyres available, or affordable, so I prefer not to compromise safety for the sake of an era look...??
 I run Metzler Enduro 1 & 11, they're great.....but only come in 21" F, and 18"R (and maybe 17"  for motards?), yours being a Scrambler would cope with a 21, but you'd have to change the rim-easy if said quickly
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Back in the sixties the Avon SM was a popular tyre, and that is what I still use today. I am not sure how or why the SM got saddled with the term "Skidmaster" I have never had any problems with an SM on any road surface. I remember way back in the early sixties going to the motorcycle show at Earls Court in London, and seeing the new high hysteresis compound SM MK2 grip characteristics being demonstrated. In fact if memory serves me correct, the Avon Speedmaster, and SM Mk2 recieved very favourable reviews in the motorcycle press of the time. Since then the tyre compound technology has been progessively improved, and incorperated into the older style tyres. The latest SM has a new more rounded tread shape. It is all a matter of personal choice of course, but I am more than happy to use SM tyres. Like I said, I have never had reason to be concerned about the properties of SM tyres. When my tyres need replacing they will be replaced by a pair of Avons. Speedmaster at the front, and an SM on the back. I certainley do not think in terms of compromising saftey just for the look. For me the tyres work just fine.
John

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
Back in the sixties I'll bet no one gave a rats idiot what tyre they used only that it was cheap!

Offline xib34

• Moving Up
One older guy tells me Dunlop K70's were a common tyre on British bikes.