Author Topic: Frame number  (Read 4498 times)

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
Re: Frame number
« Reply #15 on: 09.11. 2017 16:33 »
>Does the engine number in your machine match that as stated on the old book?

Yes, it does. How does that help me?

>remember that you will be dealing with a Govt dept

Yes, that's what worries me!

>there is a methodology to add your number (old book) to the frame

What IS this methodology? I suppose I need to know where should the number be put, facing up or down, what size letters, what sort of font, what spacing etc. Some images of existing stamps would help (yes, I've already got a few from this thread).

>There is a chap in a mthly mag who helps retain old numbers

Anyone know who this is?

Many thanks - Rowan

Current bike: 1958 A10 Super Rocket (in bits), purchased in 1967.
Previous bikes: M21

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #16 on: 09.11. 2017 16:42 »
Rowan ,may be old bike mart, last 3 brain cells suddenly aligned !
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 09.11. 2017 17:55 »
Hi Rowan,
Off topic, but your photo shows a good example of why A&/10's have a reputation  for poo rear brakes  *sad2*

Reason
Almost all replacement cables are too long in both inner and outer measurements *problem*
I posted about a modified cable that cures the problem some time ago

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 09.11. 2017 18:15 »
>you need to establish a documentary link between the registration number and the frame number

I've GOT a documentary link (in the logbook). Just not any physical evidence of it on the bike.

Rowan

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 09.11. 2017 18:17 »
As I understand it, the DVLA relies on the BSAOC to check the validity of the bike. They are not a government department. What do I need to do to convince them that this is a genuine 1958 bike?

Thanks - Rowan

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 09.11. 2017 18:32 »
Owners clubs and the VMCC, who are authorised to sign the V765 have to maintain high standards or that authorisation will be withdrawn.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 09.11. 2017 20:48 »
I'd avoid the VMCC if I was you. Apart from the cost (something like £75) they want to know the ins and outs of a rat's a*se; pics of hubs, forks, gearbox etc, and then they act like they're doing you a real big favour by even replying to you.
BSAOC would be better.
Oh yes.....the inspector the DVLA sends isn't just looking for a frame number which corresponds with that in the old log book, s/he also checks that it's been stamped at Armoury Lane way back when.
New or wrong stamps, fonts, positioning will set all the alarm bells ringing.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 10.11. 2017 10:10 »
Do not give the DVLA the chance to screw you over. Stamp the frame to match. Seriously, really. Any other route is going to cause you pain.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #23 on: 10.11. 2017 10:54 »
Rex, sorry  but have to disagree ,unless DVLA as seriously changed /improved it's staff . When i took my bike to be checked over the "inspector" was a young kid who didn't know one end of a bike from the other ,He started by calling my bike a Bantam , I had to show him the frame number which He looked at for a nano second , He was much more interested in the receipts which I had in spades . I have to say this was 11 yrs ago  but thatwas how it was done then.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 10.11. 2017 11:01 »
The critical part of retaining a registration is the DVLA V765. Completion of that with an authorised Club signature is the first step.

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #25 on: 10.11. 2017 15:25 »
Can someone tell me exactly how high (in mm) the characters in the frame number stamping were? So I can buy the right size punches?

Thanks - Rowan

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #26 on: 10.11. 2017 16:41 »
I have been down the route of reclaiming an original registration, it is not as simple as some people will have you believe, as has been already said you have to get verification from an owners club ie BSA owners club of the bike frame number and engine number . To get that you have to supply photographs of the frame and engine numbers along with pencil rubbings of the said numbers, ask yourself why do they want pencil rubbings of the numbers and not just photographs, failure to supply either will invalidate your claim. You are intending stamping a frame with a number that you think belongs with that bike but you have no documentary evidence to support that apart from the old RF60 log book which gives a frame number but as I said earlier how do you know that the original frame was scrapped it could still be out there registered to another bike.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 10.11. 2017 16:57 »
Is it worth speaking to Steve Foden, the dating officer at BSAOC to get advice?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #28 on: 10.11. 2017 17:35 »
>how do you know that the original frame was scrapped it could still be out there registered to another bike

It seems to me that this is a minimal risk. How likely is it that someone would have gone to the trouble and expense of buying a replacement frame and rebuilding the bike into it, if the old frame was not in fact a write-off, and someone later resurrected it and built another bike into it?

This seems to me a risk worth taking. If I'm found out, them I will just say that I thought I was doing the right thing, since we had worked out that it was a replacement frame, and the dealer should have stamped it with the original frame number but had obviously failed to do so, so I was doing it for him.

Thanks - Rowan

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 10.11. 2017 18:41 »
Rex, sorry  but have to disagree ,unless DVLA as seriously changed /improved it's staff . When i took my bike to be checked over the "inspector" was a young kid who didn't know one end of a bike from the other ,He started by calling my bike a Bantam , I had to show him the frame number which He looked at for a nano second , He was much more interested in the receipts which I had in spades . I have to say this was 11 yrs ago  but thatwas how it was done then.

Things have changed a lot. My last one was back in the late Spring, and the inspector was a woman, and an employee of the firm the DVLA have sub-contracted to do inspections at owners homes.
She either knew, or had done some research before her visit, but she knew what she was looking for and what the bike ought to look like.
This-Do not give the DVLA the chance to screw you over. Stamp the frame to match. Seriously, really. Any other route is going to cause you pain.

is a little puzzling. In stamping the frame you would be giving the DVLA every opportunity to "cause you pain", unless you are a pretty good forger and have a set of BSA original font stamps. A set of machine mart 6mm metric stamps aren't going to fool anyone, especially those paid to spot recent restampings. Apparently, DVLA's approach is "restamps are iffy so we'll look a little deeper".
It could be someone who's circumstances are entirely innocent (as yours) but more likely it could be a dodgy number seller, a  stolen frame/bike being given a new identity, an A10 into an RGS, etc etc none of which will impress the DVLA.