Author Topic: Frame number  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Frame number
« Reply #45 on: 15.11. 2017 12:50 »
So buy this. Build it up. Sell the registration. You're probably ahead on the deal.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bsa-1959-a10-s-a-frame-v5c/292326406061?hash=item441002f7ad:g:CLgAAOSwKQ9aBsia
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #46 on: 15.11. 2017 15:44 »
....And that one would be MoT-less!

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #47 on: 15.11. 2017 16:07 »
>So buy this. Build it up. Sell the registration. You're probably ahead on the deal.

I'm not sure how that helps me. It gives me a frame with a supposedly genuine frame number on it, but it is not the number in the log book. I suppose it would be the number on the V5, but the engine number would be different. I suppose it might give me a better chance of getting the bike registered with an old reg number, but not the original number of my bike. My frame looks in better nick than this one. I think I'll stick to my frame, and get the stamps...

Thanks - Rowan

Current bike: 1958 A10 Super Rocket (in bits), purchased in 1967.
Previous bikes: M21

Offline harvey mushman

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #48 on: 15.11. 2017 16:43 »
I am usually completely against re-stamping of any numbers on anything.

But what I see here:

You own the bike, its not stolen.

You are not trying to make a RGS out of something else.

Your not trying to cheat anyone.

This was something that should have been done to the frame 50 years ago, and was neglected to be done by no fault of your own. If the same numbers we are talking about now would have been stamped 50 years ago, we would not be having this conversation.

By going the "bureaucrat" route, and contacting this agency, and that agency, and hoping things will work out in your favor is a fools errand. If thats what you plan to do, STOP sticking money into this project right now and save your money, because it may not work out the way you want.

Or get some 1/4 inch stamps, drink a few beers and swing the hammer. Hit the restamped numbers with a sander to smooth and age them, and paint the whole works. Be done with this.

Lee

This gets my vote you aren't trying to swindle anybody here but at risk of being completely open you could end up losing out and become mired with the DVLA.

I have an A10 frame that was restamped in the early eighties (long before i bought it, but knew about it) the stamp is different to Bsa stamping but numbers tie up with DVLA information. It has the original 1959 reg number as well.

Get it stamped and painted take the rubbings, photos etc and get them sent off for dating certificate.

minimal involvement with DVLA is recommended.

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #49 on: 16.11. 2017 15:50 »
I have been looking at the VMCC website as to their proceedures for reclaiming registrations and they advise ringing the DVLA to check to see if that registration is still available, the number they give is 0300 790 6802 you could try that at least you will know if the registraton number is still available.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #50 on: 21.11. 2017 16:08 »
Just tried calling the DVLA on that number. When I eventually got to speak to a human being, she said she couldn't tell me whether the original number was still available, and that I needed to call 0300 123 0883. I did this, and after another interminable conversation with a computer, got through to someone who told me that this department only deals with personalised numbers for sale, and the number that I needed to call was the original number, and that the previous person had given me faulty information. At this stage I gave up, defeated by bureaucracy. I am just going to assume that the number is available, and go ahead and apply to re-register under this number, and only if this is rejected worry about what to do next.

I can't quite understand under what circumstances an original number would not be available. The personalised numbers department told me that they only sell numbers that are brand new and have never been allocated to a vehicle, even in the 1950s. So if the original number was not available, what would have made it so?

Thanks - Rowan

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #51 on: 21.11. 2017 16:31 »
Welcome to the DVLA.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #52 on: 21.11. 2017 18:17 »
This seems to be a long drawn-out thread, but unless you have rock-solid documentary proof that this RF60 relates to this vehicle then save the hassle and apply for an age-related number.
A fellow riding club member had a similar situation with his A10 about 18 months ago, and even though he had the applied talents of MW-W and the VMCC he still had to admit defeat with his quest for retaining the number believed belonged to his bike. Given the long exchange of letters etc he really wasn't happy with the outcome, though his frame had obviously been stamped decades before.
It wasn't about the number being "available" but about the DVLA's employee being satisfied that there was no possibility of any thing even slightly dubious going on.

Offline rowan.bradley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #53 on: 21.11. 2017 18:52 »
What would constitute "rock-solid documentary proof "? All I have is the RF60 saying that I bought this bike in 1967, and that its engine number is the one stamped on the block, and that its frame number is a number that I can't find anywhere on the frame (although I will continue to look for it as I strip down and prepare the frame for painting). I don't think I have a receipt for the £15 I paid for the bike. I can't even think where I would look for this. I don't think I have any files going back that far...

I still think it's worth trying to get it registered with the original number. I don't think I will be TOO disappointed if this fails and I end up with a Q plate. Does having a Q plate versus an original plate tend to affect the resale value?

Thanks - Rowan

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #54 on: 21.11. 2017 20:39 »
Why are you Brits so obsessed with registration numbers?
Here in Australia mostly we wouldn't have a clue as to the original number and quite frankly couldn't give a damn.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #55 on: 21.11. 2017 21:27 »
I still think it's worth trying to get it registered with the original number. I don't think I will be TOO disappointed if this fails and I end up with a Q plate. Does having a Q plate versus an original plate tend to affect the resale value?
Thanks - Rowan

Without endless repetition, your "problem" is the lack of an authentic frame number, Q plates are very bad news, although I doubt you'd end up with one of them anyway.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #56 on: 22.11. 2017 10:37 »
Hi Trev, basically as the number issued stays with the vehicle for ever , if you look at the vintage bikes in the run out to Brighton every year some have the earliest registered numbers probably in the world. Obviously they didn't except cars ,bikes etc would last ,just a fad don't you know , but they are still here and it adds to the vehicles history /patina etc = value .
From our stance it's just another additional part in making your bike stand out a little more. I personally wouldn't have been happy with a Q plate and was prepared to jump the various hoops required by DVLA to avoid getting one . Also if my first a7shooters number was available I'd snap it up for pure nostalgia .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #57 on: 22.11. 2017 19:31 »
Hi All,
Why are you Brits so obsessed with registration numbers?
(OK I'm going OT here)

A good example of this phenomenon was the price of £24,725 paid for a very ordinary (roughish) condition with wrong year id for the frame and an unnumbered engine on a Trials Ariel at Stafford April auction this year
It wore the reg number GOV 130 which was a works reg number (two number away from S Millers)
As this reg number was moved from bike to bike by the factory it would need referring to the despatch records to see if the frame fitted was sent to the comp shop, no such evidence was offered as far as I could find out
The frame number fits into the "normal " 1957 series
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23955/lot/184/

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #58 on: 23.11. 2017 09:30 »
It seems as the rf60 logbook is registered in your name. I have a frogeye sprite that was last taxed by me in 1963. A few years ago, "done it up" , mot'd,  dating certificate,  and walked into local dvla office and came out with v5 being posted . Easy, because I could have claimed a v5 when DVLC was first set up in the 70s ( I was lazy even then ).
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #59 on: 27.12. 2017 17:50 »
Just stamp the damned thing I have done it more than once and never had any problems with any of it.

The last time I did it I had a V5 within 16 days