Author Topic: Gas Taps?  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Cider1

• Moving Up
    • Listen to Out of the Blue
Gas Taps?
« on: 10.01. 2009 19:27 »
Hi
I read with interest the posts that included comments about using B&Q gas taps instead of the usual leaky petrol taps.  I've done a search but can't find anymore info so can anyone help with more detail?  Such as which taps? Are they the ones that normally used with olives? If so which size is best for our use, 8mm, 10mm or 15mm?  If they're not this type which type are they?  Lastly, what mods are necessary to get them to fit to the tanks?
I hope someone can help cos my wife if fed up with the smell of petrol and the pool collected under the bike.

Thanks
Frank   

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Re: Gas Taps?
« Reply #1 on: 10.01. 2009 19:41 »
Just a word of warning Frank and to anyone really who has leaky taps. I have in the past experienced petrol in the sump. What seemed to have happened is that petrol gets past the float needle and flows down from carb through valves and down the sides of the pistons and in no time fills up. This can have potentially catastrophic results if should be ignited.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 10.01. 2009 20:55 »
down the sides of the pistons and in no time fills up
*eek*

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 12.01. 2009 12:50 »
Frank - here's a not very good pic of the taps I've been using for a while. The big one is a 10mm internal diameter - 15mm gland nut/olive. Good for oil feed lines - but MUST have ignition cut-out rigged up unless memory is perfect! No good for fuel. Haven't got one on a BSA - they're reserved for oilier problems in my shed.

The smaller gas tap comes with gland nut and olive for 8mm pipe, and the internal diameter is 5.5mm or thereabouts. Perfect for fuel. These taps have 1/4 gas thread / BSP threads both ends. Not many fuel tanks have 1/4BSP threads I think - 3/8ths BSP and 1/8th BSP seem more common depending on marque and model. So to use these gas taps, you probably need an adapter to get into the tank, and a new bit for the fuel pipe side. A bit of hex drilled 6mm right through, threaded 1/4 BSP internally at one end and with a short round section at the other for the fuel line to go on is what I have made. Brass or stainless for choice - the one in the pic is only mild steel.

Also need filters. In the pic there is the sawn off top-half of a tap from a BSA tank. I tried to bore and thread it to take the new tap direct as an experiment and to save having to think about adapters and filters, but no go - not enough meat. Scruffy thing anyway. So had to make an adapter which accepted the gas tap and screwed into the tank - and could accommodate a filter. The 2 brass gauze jobs in the pic are threaded 3/8 by 20 BSF at the bottom to go onto tap or adapter, made from brass bar drilled 6mm, with gauze sheet soldered on. Long one is main tap, short one is reserve. They're ready to go.

The other thing in the pic is a dead push-pull original style tap for scale comparison.

Easy enough to male use of the things, but you do need access to some threading tackle and either to be good at soldering or have a lathe. Good luck.
Bill

Offline Cider1

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 12.01. 2009 22:04 »
Hi Groily
Thanks for that, just what I wanted.  I've been to B&Q tonight and purchased 2x 8mm taps.  I will start making the adapters at work tomorrow. 
I like your filters, very neat.
Hopefully I won't stink of petrol when I use my A10 in future!!

Thanks again for the info

Frank   *smile* *smile*

Offline Cider1

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 16.01. 2009 20:18 »
Hi
Following on from the info given by Groily I've managed to complete the fitting of gas taps to my A10.  At last, no leaks.  When I got down to it the job was very easy.  I got two brass thread adapters of Ebay (99p each) and two 8mm gas taps from B&Q (£6 each). For the outlet I turned down some brass rod so it fitted into the olives that came with the taps and formed the other end suitable to take 1/4 inch fuel pipe.  If you don't have a lathe fittings can be obtained at approx £1:50 each.  The only other thing was to make up filters  out of soldered copper mesh. I think they don't look bad, not for the purist I agree, but I like them. What do you think?
Thanks for the idea Groily

Frank

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #6 on: 16.01. 2009 22:13 »
Well I like them Frank! I would, wouldn't I? If the yellow bits offend, you can hoick them out and do something different - but hey, what you've got is leak-proof, neat, and will work a treat. Sorry I said 4 quid if the taps were 6 - it's while since I bought a box! Didn't know you could actually buy the adapters - that's good, and easier than making them. A perfect impure result!
Bill

Offline stratcat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 17.01. 2009 10:42 »
Great job cider1

Looking at the pics I bet if you took the yellow bit off there would be a screw holding on the black plastic lever.

I doubt it would be a big job to turn up a new lever out of brass or steel and replace the plastic, depending on how it located to the valve.
You would be hard pushed to notice it was a modern replacement.

How stiff are they to turn, I know some of these taps can take a bit of effort to turn. Not what you need when in traffic and going onto reserve.

Offline ronnierockets

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 17.01. 2009 10:44 »
hi frank,  good to see your using the gas taps ,  nice looking job.
i've been using them on my bsa's for a number of years now,without any leaks.
just fit and forget.
missed your post requesting info on the taps, but i see Groily got you sorted  out  .. good man Groily.. well done,..  another gas tap tap convert.

.ronnierockets..
as the wife says,too many bikes, and only one butt.

Offline Cider1

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 17.01. 2009 14:01 »
Thanks for the positive comments gents.

I've just got back from a trial run round North Wales, well about 20 miles of it, and there's not a sign of any drips or smell of petrol. A success I think.
The one concern I have is not about the taps, but the outlet adapter I made.  I don't know how secure the olive will be with the vibration. I think I'll take them off and solder the olive in place for peace of mind!

Groily;    Adapters are available for inlet & outlet.  The inlet ones (3/8BSP to 1/4BSP) can be bought for about £6 from a bike shop but the same ones are 99p from a plumbers merchant. Outlet ones cost about £1:50 for straight and about £4:50 for right-angled. These do away with the B&Q nut and olive and fit right on.

Stratcat;  The taps are very smooth in operation and easy to operate.  If the lever is changed they will not look much different from some of the commercial taps apart from not leaking!!
As you may see from my avatar, I'm a strat fan as well.

Ronnie;  Some thanks must go to you cos it was your post that started me thinking.

Thanks again guys

Frank