Author Topic: What have I got?  (Read 536 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
What have I got?
« on: 28.02. 2014 00:43 »
Going through my newly acquired RGS/A10/A7? parts stash trying to figure out what will work. Found an obvious difference between RGS and other A10 swingarms. It runs a much smaller diameter (solid) pivot pin. .625" vs .810" for the hollow one with the other swingarms. Axle slots measure the same, so getting a rear wheel fitted shouldn't be a problem. Just need stub axle, etc.
   The front, on the other hand.... I have two sets of fork lowers that use a pinch bolt on one side (.855") and a threaded hole on the other(.515"). One wheel has an inner (axle) diameter of only .685" I'm guessing that's the one to use with threaded forks.  I have another set with the removeable endcaps. I have one wheel that will work with removeable caps. Then there is a really strange axle in another wheel. It has a plain axle, no tommy bar hole, no threads, and the two sides are very different. The brake side is .590" and the other end is .800"  Sound familiar to anyone?

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: What have I got?
« Reply #1 on: 28.02. 2014 03:42 »
Whatever it is a big dose of pennacillin with usually cure it *smile* *smile* *smile*
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 28.02. 2014 14:43 »
Hi,
The front, on the other hand.... I have two sets of fork lowers that use a pinch bolt on one side (.855") and a threaded hole on the other(.515").

The threaded fork end has a 9/16 LEFT hand thread, the spindle for this is stepped and theres a shouldered sleeve that fits between the wheel bearings  this sleeve comes out through the brake plate and into the threaded fork spindle

An exception to this is on late 40's early 50's single cylinder bikes that have a 7inch brake where there are threaded sleeves and nuts either side of the front hub and a split sleeve in the unthreaded fork leg
these have a plain spindle with LH thread
(I dont know if early twins have this setup?)

You really need to get your hands on the illustrated parts books which are invaluable when sorting out a project

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 01.03. 2014 01:28 »
Thanks John. I have original BSA issue parts books covering "A" group from 1949 to 1960, the RGS supplement dated Feb 21, 1963, Roy Bacon's BSA Restoration, and Bacon"s BSA Twins and Triples. All useful in their own way, but none give details like you just did. The drawings in the parts books are great, but they don't list dimensions. Just dawned on me: I was looking for part numbers on the outside of the brake hubs. They would more likely be inside. I'll have a look tomorrow.
   If anyone needs part numbers, like I said above, I have what looks to be the complete collection of A7/A10 parts books. Be happy to look them up on request.