Author Topic: Three wheeler spotted  (Read 759 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Three wheeler spotted
« on: 11.03. 2014 18:27 »
Spotted what I take to be a Yamaha Tricity on a roundabout in Berwick upon Tweed this afternoon
I should mention in Berwick you need eyes all around your head as drivers there presume you have some kind of sixth sense and just know where they are going without any help from their indicators, so a fleeting glimpse is the best you can hope for in identifying any particular vehicle but the two front wheels were quite striking
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Three wheeler spotted
« Reply #1 on: 11.03. 2014 18:48 »
Is it a bird, is is a plane!!
Don't think it'll be in my stable. What happens when you try to exceed the fixed max lean angle? Lift the outside front wheel *ex*.
Oh, what do you mean their not meant for racing *bash*.
Cheers
Here's another slant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK4wzBYmTIo
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 11.03. 2014 20:20 »
Drivers there presume you have some kind of sixth sense and just know where they are going without any help from their indicators

I'm pretty sure that most modern cars don't come with indicators!  BMW's definately don't! ;)

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 11.03. 2014 21:08 »
Nothing new. Already saw one like that 20 years ago when coming out of the pub having a couple to many...... :o
 *beer*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Ethelred

• A's Best Friend
  • Northants, UK
« Reply #4 on: 11.03. 2014 23:08 »
'59 A10

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 12.03. 2014 12:23 »
Please don't remind me ! I was one of the poor B******s who had to try to get rid of these wonderful contraptions ,what planet were they on ! Did you hear the story about the marvelous stock control computer ,it ordered so many engines that even when discontinued form the range they had hundreds of engines coming in for months  that were just so much scrap!!!!!!!!!! We didn't need the japanese to kill of the industry all it needed was twits who thought they knew best !! I'll go and find a dark room to lie down in, cheers BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 12.03. 2014 14:06 »
this one did for BSA

think these two didn't help either

All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 12.03. 2014 14:34 »
Did you hear the story about the marvelous stock control computer ,it ordered so many engines that even when discontinued form the range they had hundreds of engines coming in for months  that were just so much scrap!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting! I just read this on the Ariel 3 museum website (http://ariel3bristol.wordpress.com/visitor-book/)

'During the final six months or so that BSA was operating, I was assigned to “excess stock disposal” and during a tour of a variety of stores in the Small Heath area, saw a huge number of small two-stroke motors on pallets – looking back, I guess they must have been part of the 20,000 rumoured to have been bought for Arial 3s.'

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #8 on: 12.03. 2014 15:29 »
We didn't need the japanese to kill of the industry all it needed was twits who thought they knew best !!
That reminds me of the tale I once read about the Aerial Square Four. Apparently, some bean counter decided that the material specified for the cylinder head was to expensive, and so, decided to source a lower specification material to save a bit of money. The problem was that once production was under way, and the bikes got into the hands of customers the true cost of this "saving" quickly became apparent. The cylinder heads were very prone to distorting. The result was that the cost of warranty claims far exceded the benefit of any alledged material cost saving. Edward Turner, was renowed for his conviction that he was always new best. On many occasions people have written about the dire consequences of suggesting technical improvements to him. It has also been written that it was not unknown for the odd modification to be introduced quitely, and unobtrusively in his absence because that was the only way it could be done. That said, the resolutely conservative British motorcycle buying public has much to answer for. Inovation, and technical advancement was not what most motorcyclists wanted. How else for instance would the obsession with side valve engines, and rigid frames have  remained the preferential choice for so many sidecar users. I did read once that the design concept of the Douglas Dragonfly was the result of consumer research. How many of them were sold? Not a lot. The Sunbeam S7 & S8 are another example of what the the consumer claimed to have wanted. Shaft drive, with a smooth rubber mounted OHC engine. Made for that elusive fellow, the gentleman touring motorcyclist, and of course the LE Velocette. The everymans motorcycle. Clean, quite, and with built in weather protection. The only people to recognise its virtues were the Metropolitan Police. In the market that the LE was aimed at, Villiers powered lightweights, and Bantams were the norm until the advent of the Honda 50 step through. The British motorcyclist in days gone by was both fickle and contradictory being notorious for buying the same old thing while claiming that they wanted something new and inovative. Who can blame the factories for making what the public at large bought?

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #9 on: 13.03. 2014 10:17 »
Seeing the picture of the Dockers reminded me of an incident around the mid to late 1950's. My father was a London copper & was checking speeders. Stopwatches in those days! They had just set up & who was the first driver to be caught- yep, a gold plated Daimler with her ladyship. It made my Dad's day!
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 13.03. 2014 11:00 »
a gold plated Daimler

When asked why it needed to be Gold plated she replied "well chrome is in such short supply due to the war"!!

I was about to say they don't make them like that any more then remembered they do - Bankers
All the best - Bill

Offline Ethelred

• A's Best Friend
  • Northants, UK
« Reply #11 on: 13.03. 2014 16:55 »
The British motorcyclist in days gone by was both fickle and contradictory being notorious for buying the same old thing while claiming that they wanted something new and innovative.

That's often said but I don't think it's true. The British and American bike industries churned out the same old models for years, so the motorcyclist didn't have much choice, especially with a big import tariff as well keeping the prices of arguably better bikes like BMWs out of the reach of most folk. When something radically different was offered at a competitive price by the Japanese, across the frame fours, wildly hairy two-strokes, step-throughs, electric starters and so on, that same old conservative fickle-minded British and American public bought them in droves and junked their old Brit iron and Harleys with no qualms.

The problem was crap, greedy management. Ariel are a good example, the LE and the 3, buts let's not forget those awful BSA and Triumph scooters, bathtub enclosures and several other horrible monstrosities the industry tried to foist onto the not-so-stupid public. The British motorbike industry management suffered from the same over-whelming hubris that killed off the car and aviation industries. And they still try and blame it on the workers! (That's those same workers now so successfully building Hondas, Nissan, Jaguars, Range Rovers, Landrovers, Bentleys, Rolls Royces, modern Triumph bikes, bits of airbusses etc. Note that they're all foreign owned and managed)
'59 A10

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #12 on: 14.03. 2014 12:53 »
Have to agree wholeheartedly with your post ethelred but did you have to mention the bsa and triumph scooter,along with the ariel 3's  I still have nightmares about them too!. Actually the original spec engine COULD have produced a winner for BSA/Tri but once again cost cutting on spec/materials by management did for it. Some bright spark decided that they didn't need to chrome the bore of the barrell and that cast would do and that was that reliability wise.I seem to remember that someone was racing using a BSA scooter engine which went quite well . The scooters ,well didn't,not  for long anyways overheating and seizing with easy abandon . I had my revenge on  about 15 of the henious things , a floor dropped in on them from the showroom above ,sadly I can't claim the credit for removing this rubbish from the roads ,it was the over enthusiastic car sales dept , I was merely in ther debt ! Take care there may be some still about , best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Ethelred

• A's Best Friend
  • Northants, UK
« Reply #13 on: 14.03. 2014 18:44 »
Sorry to be the cause of your sleepless nights TopDad  *smile* , but it is fascinating to hear the experiences and insights of someone who was there on the inside, so to speak. I knew a chap who was middle management in British Leyland in the bad old days who recounts similar tales of woe and mind-numbing incompetence.
I don't know why the Brits make such incompetent managers when it comes to running large enterprises, be they in public or private ownership, perhaps it's a remnant of the old class thing. We do it so well on a small scale. You just look at Formula 1 and racing in general and the majority of the leading edge technology firms are British. I live not far from Silverstone and this part of the world is full of amazing engineering firms. Trouble seems to be that as soon as they employ more than a few hundred people it all goes to pot as the managers become more concerned about their status/company car/share dividends/bonuses/size of their office etc - that's the English disease, in my seldom very 'umble opinion  ;)
'59 A10