Author Topic: Hot start  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Zak

• Active
Hot start
« on: 14.03. 2014 20:17 »
Hi there

I have a 1951 golden flash that I'm having
Trouble getting started, it takes about 5 mins of kicking it before it goes.

When it runs it's timing etc is perfect .

I'm not sure if I should keep the fuel tap open all time or close when I stop?
Do I use reserve tap on start?

When it goes it's perfect but starting her back up is a nightmare.

Many thanks
Zak

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
Re: Hot start
« Reply #1 on: 14.03. 2014 20:43 »
Hi Zak

To answer you question from the other thread (Sorry Admin).

The Choke lever and petrol tap should look like the images below (first one choke 2nd one petrol tap).

The exploded view of the carb shows the tickler ((3rd picture assuming a monoblock)

Neither of mine are plungers so may be slight differences. When warm ensure main petrol tap open (right hand side tap) and stays open, tickle until finger wet push on kick start until you feel it going over compression and then give it a good kick. There may need to be slight variations for you bike as I said they all appear to have there own  personality.

1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Zak

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 14.03. 2014 21:09 »
Hi Angus

Thank you for the help,  I can't see any choke lever ?

I just have a pull out fuel thing.. Where is the choke lever positioned ?

Many thanks!

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #3 on: 14.03. 2014 21:17 »
others will know the 54 Plunger better then me.

Assuming the same petrol taps then yes just pull it out for on, push it in for off.

My choke is just below the front of the seat attched to a frame tube, sort of between that and the front of the oil tank. On yours it could be on the handlebars, or it could have been removed (as some here have mentioned here, they have not fitted one as not always required to cold start).
Anyway choke should not be required for warm/hot start.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 14.03. 2014 22:57 »
Hi Zak , don' t get worried about the taps. The reserve is that only keep the tank full and it is ok .one tap sits lowering the fuel so you get a few more miles if low. To start from cold  tap on (1) flood carb with button on top float chamber , good kick should do it. Hot try just ahint of fuel ,as all throttle opening  and a good kick  ,if after few gos it doesn't  fire , wind her full throttle kick for about5times  then start again . They start easy and poor starting is more normally due to timing ,mag or carb issues or a combination of all, but it's not difficult to sort lets know how you get on best of luck BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 15.03. 2014 05:56 »
G'day Zak.
I turn my taps off when not running. Only because I don't trust the needle & seats. Right tap is main, left is reserve. You should have a 276 carb fitted (more reason to turn taps off *smile*) see below.
Two things to try.
 When she refuses to start remove the plugs and check for spark. No spark when hot suggests condenser in magneto.
 As Topdad said.Turn fuel off and kick over a few times with wide open throttle. Turn fuel back on and try again.
The carb might be running a bit rich which doesn't help hot starts either. What do the plugs look like (white, tan or black)?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 15.03. 2014 12:32 »
Starts ok when cold?

Difficult to start when hot.

Close both taps when the engine is not running. Open the main tap for starting and running. If you run out of fuel, open the reserve tap.

It's worth trying a press on the tickler button for a hot start. It can help when there has been fuel evaporation in the carburettor.

Offline Zak

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 15.03. 2014 14:18 »
Hi guys thanks!!

Is the tickler a button I press that lets fuel out?

Like a bleed thing?

Offline Ethelred

• A's Good Friend
  • Northants, UK
« Reply #8 on: 15.03. 2014 14:24 »
Yes, you've got it. It holds down the float in the carb so that it overfills and gives you a very rich starting mixture, but you probably need to mess about choke lever positions as well. Enjoy  *smile* Cheaper than the gym by miles.
'59 A10

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 15.03. 2014 14:41 »
You need a manual.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 15.03. 2014 18:36 »
Well, as noted - they are all different to some extent. On my s/arm with concentric:

I always switch the taps off when I leave it, but only because that's the practice that I've adopted.
I always flood with the tickler when it's cold. The choke seems to make little difference and so I mostly don't use it at all.
I don't tickle when warm, and if it doesn't start within a couple of swings I will try with the throttle at least half way open (though still with the gas switched on)
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Zak

• Active
« Reply #11 on: 16.03. 2014 23:00 »
Thanks guys !

Offline ericjervis

• Active
« Reply #12 on: 31.05. 2014 15:43 »
A cold start is no problem; I adopt the same procedure I had to use on my B44 Shooting Star, except the Flash has no decompressor. Ignore the choke as it seems to do nothing. Flood the carb with the tickler, feel gently for TDC on compression, ease it over a bit, let the kickstarter up again, then give it a massive kick. Usually starts first time. Unlike when it is hot. It's OK if the engine has only been stopped for a few minutes, but any longer than that and it will just refuse to start. I just roll a ciggy, smoke it, then try again with the cold start procedure. I reckoned it was to do with the engine temperature being not quite ideal, but I've seen a few posts on here that I'm going to try next time.

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #13 on: 31.05. 2014 18:08 »
You may want to look at a BRITE SPARK fix (Google it)  A break in the wire in the primary circuit will keep them from starting when hot.  Also a leaking down condenser, (can not hold a charge) will cause really hard to start hot starts.  I smoked for 60 years, so I did not mind waiting for the bike to cool off for 30 minutes.  When I quit the fags, that is when I grew impatient, and had to have the maggy re-wound.  1 kick starts now hot or cold, no matter what.
                         BILL
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline ericjervis

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 31.05. 2014 20:15 »
Ha ha ha...I tried googling that but it assumes firstly that I don't know how to spell bright, and then gives me an endless list of electricians with a sense of humour!