Author Topic: Sticky Crank  (Read 2020 times)

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Re: Sticky Crank
« Reply #15 on: 26.03. 2014 07:55 »
 *eek* It had me stumped why the pistons were not going up & down when you turned it over...  *eek*   *dunno*
Then I realized your got plastic bottle bottoms stuffed in the boars...   *smile*
Maybe it's COKE dribbling down the barrels making it sticky...   *whistle*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 26.03. 2014 10:28 »
Umm, your turning the crank backwards

Way to go if you don't want the idler pulley to pop off *smiley4*

Yep quite a lot of stuff to cause resistance there, belt drive, new pump?, Maggie and so forth

as a matter of interest have you fitted a 357 cam ?
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 26.03. 2014 10:29 »
me and my engine (if this was a Vincent, I would have so enjoyed saying "me and my shadow").
Was thinking the same thing- Harry Nilson?

Hmmm, a couple of things do concern me...

the boars...   
Maybe it'the boars...   
Maybe it's COKE dribbling down the barrels making it sticky...   s COKE dribbling down the barrels making it sticky...
   Wozza, are you a pig farmer..? You crack me up...!

Richard, are they high or low compression drink bottles...?

I agree with musky, good eyes buddy- I couldn't tell straightup which way it went, maybe doesn't matter much but I'd take the idler out and should turn easy without a wench...?

The only other thing bothering me is-
you and the gathering hoard will confirm my pending happiness.

We the hordes are watching with great interest...!!!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #18 on: 26.03. 2014 11:20 »
Hmmmm..... I C what u mean Dutch...   *smile*
I KNEW I shouldn't have watched Deliverance B4 posting ...   :o
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 26.03. 2014 11:42 »
Kiwi, Yep, I should have mentioned the state of assembly when asking for opinions and advice, though the barrels without pistons would not be at play.

Musky, I knew I was turning in the wrong direction and figured it didn't make a difference but, before it loosened-up a bit, the idler nut was unscrewing when turning in the correct direction. Even though I just got out of bed, I ran to the garage to check if the turning was any different in the correct direction. I does seem a tad easier. The only thing I can think of as a reason is the new SRM oil pump. Oh man, I hope there was no "Under no circumstances should you turn the pump in the wrong direction" instruction.

Wozza, They were well-dried water bottles, which work better in sows. I knew I should have checked the spelling of "horde" while assuming no one would mind being called part of one. But really, who among you would not admit to being a bit of a hoarder, particularly of BSA parts.

Dutch,  Could you imagine the chiding I would take if I let the rods clank against the cylinder walls? Good idea about removing the idler gear. I was on my way towrd doing that when I discovered that turning over seemed not all that bad.

Bill, No 357 cam, but what matter with no head? Yeah, new oil pump and new dynamo belt drive.

Richard L.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 26.03. 2014 12:05 »
Bill, No 357 cam, but what matter with no head

Some folks have had 357 cam catch on the edge of the cam tray, was not the case in mine although I wouldn't like any body parts of mine to be caught in there  *eek*

Anyway glad it's turning, not long now till you put the SADDLE BACK (pigs  get it)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 26.03. 2014 13:00 »

not long now till you put the SADDLE BACK (pigs  get it)

no...?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 26.03. 2014 13:15 »
I looked up "saddleback pig", so, no ? there, and no banjos show up at the end  when I view the video. Anyway, if I looked up "banjo motorcycle" I'd probably come up with some pipe fittings.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #23 on: 26.03. 2014 13:29 »
Were you thinking Razorback? Saddleback was the name of a girl I once knew  *eek* *bash*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 26.03. 2014 14:25 »
Well, the teams that play for the University of Arkansas are known as the Razorbacks. "Saddleback" is , indeed, also a breed of pig (and the name of a mountain range in Arizona).

Anyway, back to the crank, one of my thoughts was that if was turnable (as shown) with the disadvantage of the larger idler gear, it is probably loose enough. But, I'm not taking anything for granted. I will be working it a lot more before a final decision, one way or the other.

Richard L.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #25 on: 26.03. 2014 14:35 »
'Scuse my ignorance but surely if it was sticky and about to ruin all of Richards hard work not to mention what it'd do to his present happiness, then it would be even harder indeed even impossible to turn over with all the ancillaries fitted ? and has it now turns over with them fitted doesn't it mean that he can proceed with confidence?
 *smile* *smile*  Trying my best here Richard but honestly it must be worth moving forward now!! I've had a rotten week so far and obviously missed something but how did we get into pigs? , BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 26.03. 2014 17:19 »
Bob,

Thanks. I am just on the edge of proceeding without much more concern for it, but I will do a bit more spinning the crank to reinforce my confidence.

Hmmm, how we got to pigs? I had mispelled "horde" as "hoard". Wozza countered with "bore" (as in cylinder) as "boar" (as in hog), etc, etc, etc.  Oh my, how a bunch of old guys will distract themselves.

Richard L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 27.03. 2014 01:35 »
Gents,

Allow me to share the jubilation and spare you the video (unless you want one, of course). Got home and hooked-up my 1/2" drill motor to the splined crank end via a 15/16" 12-point deep socket (a near-perfect fit) and the right adaptors. She turns over just fine in the CCW (correct) direction. Turned easily enough to prime the pump and push oil out of the return.

I wasn't imagining it when I felt the significant stiffness at the bottom of the stroke, but working the moving parts seems to have done the trick. I do recall SRM mentioning that the pump would be stiff at first, but hard to believe it could have been that stiff.

Regardless of the cause, I am happy and relieved. (All you members out there who are superb BSA mechanics may have forgotten the feeling.) Only miles will tell if I've created a durable engine.

Thanks all for your advice and good words. It's probably a matter of minutes before I ask for more.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #28 on: 27.03. 2014 08:33 »
Good news Richard. It's a good feeling only surpassed by the thrill of the first kick start.
Good luck with it.
I also spin fresh motors like that.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 27.03. 2014 09:33 »

Well I'm glad you explained the pigs/boars Richard- it was doin' my head in with the banjos and all from the "sticky Rods', so I did some forensic research, but found your explanation *good3* and figured when you get the seat/saddle back on, just think of Wozza and your 'boars'.....  *whistle*...is that what you had in mind B-Bill....??

A suggestion for future reference- I have an old spare cush sleeve from a S/arm model (different to plunger), and the spline on that will accommodate a gearbox sprocket, thought an old sprocket could have a handle attached to crank a new bottom end - if yea know what I mean....?
 Sounds like you got it sorted, so that's good- hope it stays that way
Australia