Author Topic: Going Electronic MK ll  (Read 6870 times)

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
Re: Going Electronic MK ll
« Reply #60 on: 08.05. 2014 01:13 »
Hi Dave, As far as the oversized bore of the Boyer stator housing goes, I have machined it out and fitted a sleeve to bring the stator back to exactly centre so I don't think that's the problem. Next thing is to replace the head with a twin carb alloy head I bought a while ago which is waiting with new valves and springs and a single carb manifold. Then I shall try another Mag that my friend is going to loan me and has been completely renovated and unused. After that I shall bloody hang myself. Cheers. Gerry

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #61 on: 08.05. 2014 09:18 »

Hey Gerry, Boyer and electronic is out of my league, is why I'm staying outta this and I may have mixed up the info, but if you have a 'wasted spark' I'm sure yo've switched the plug leads? - wouldn't it still run either way...??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #62 on: 08.05. 2014 12:29 »
Trouble with this Dutch, is that the wasted spark on the good side is the one you need on the other side. If the spark to the faulty side is duff it could also be duff on the good side? if that makes sense.
Thwe wasted spark also makes it difficult to see if you have a spark. One could be good and the one you want can be non existant but you see a good spark (the wasted one) at the plug

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #63 on: 08.05. 2014 13:27 »
Just red your mail warmshed and got myself thinking it's a shame they don't do Sparktune for twins with two of the dodahs, then  a light came on, long time ago I bought a set of those neon spark indicators from Halfords, you plug them onto the plug and the HT cable plugs into them in turn and they glow when the plugs sparking, I bought a set , they come in fours, I know I've got one in the plug box where the other three are could take a month to find out, but with two you could see if both plugs are sparking or just one
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #64 on: 08.05. 2014 13:44 »
Not really, both will indicate a spark, you wont be able to differentiate between the spark wanted and the wasted spark, you get both on both plugs. The only way would be  to disconnect the known good stator coil, then the suspect one would be the only one producing sparks.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #65 on: 08.05. 2014 14:21 »
Ah your right
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #66 on: 08.05. 2014 14:35 »

Ok Warmyshed..that's good to know- that I thought I had doUble-duTch sorted, but now I now better.. *conf*

think I'll butt back out till I have another bright spark... *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #67 on: 09.05. 2014 00:27 »
Hi Gerry,
To fit the alloy head different head bolts and rockerbox bolts are needed

Reading back over the thread,  if the magnets on the rotor had fouled the pickup coils it may have damaged one of the magnets ????????
I believe some of the posters maybe under the impression that the boyer system has two separate circuits
This is not so
It works using the coils in series on the stator plate, (there is no earth connection)
High tension coils are also wired in series or use a twin spark coil, Which is fitted to your bike?
If twin coils are fitted have you swopped them around?

Problems with Boyers can arise if the stator plates and electronic box are mixed from the different mk systems sold
Have you gone through the information given by boyers ?
http://www.boyerbransden.com/faultfinding.html

Regards
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #68 on: 09.05. 2014 01:00 »
Hi Bill, John, Dave & Dutch, Guess what this stupid old idiot never checked in all this time until an older wiser local BSA Club member suggested........"Have you checked for a blockage in the exhaust?" So yesterday in desperation I shoved a garden hose into the head end of the left hand exhaust........couldn't get it to go right through no matter how hard I tried!!! Check out the attached pic'. Has anyone ever seen anything like this. I though the pipes were original so got them and the mufflers re chromed at great expense, but seeing this I'm not sure. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. The obstruction is obviously a professionally fitted sleeve of some sort. Cheers. Gerry

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #69 on: 09.05. 2014 01:05 »
I should have stated that the pointed tangs closest to the end of the pipe have been bent back by me trying to dislodge the insert. There are six in total of these tangs the closest at 180 degrees to each other, the second pair the same but at 90 degrees to the first two and about 1/2" further in, then another pair 1/2" further in in the same position as the first pair!!!

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #70 on: 09.05. 2014 01:25 »
The only thing I can think of is that they were put in by the chroming people and used to fit a wire to hang them in the Vats.
If so they forgot to remove them.

bet you feel relieved you have got to the bottom of your problem.  Well done.

Dave.

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #71 on: 09.05. 2014 02:17 »
Hi Dave, I don't think so as it is too complicated an addition for the chromers to have bothered with, it is a very tight fit and goes about 4" into the pipe plus there is a hole in the side of the pipe they could have used. How about if they were USA pipes and were used without mufflers? This would prevent any person checking if too loud from poking a rod of some sort up there to check. Can't think of any other reason. Cheers. Gerry

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #72 on: 09.05. 2014 07:20 »
Hi all, OK got the insert out of the muffler end of the exhaust pipe. Check out the pics. It is obviously a professionally made insert for some reason or other and as I dioscovered when it was removed there are 10 tangs bent into the inside at right angles to the pipe. I'm now wondering if this would be the cause of the weak or no combustion on the near side? There isn't one in the other pipe and as can be seen in the pics' the outer end is expanded to be a force fit into the pipe. This might restrict the flow of gasses but wouldn't block the pipe completely! Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers. Gerry

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #73 on: 09.05. 2014 07:31 »
 *eek* They are AFTERMARKET baffles...   *work*
Normally inserted in SETS, not 2 different sizes like your photos.
much like >>>  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-SHORT-LOUVERED-CORE-EXHAUST-BAFFLES-4-LONG-2-OD-PIPES-CUSTOM-HARLEY-B95206-/181323684194?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a37bbd962&_uhb=1

EDIT... on 2nd look ...  thats 1 baffle with picture taken @ different angle ? ...
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #74 on: 09.05. 2014 07:59 »
Thanks Wozza, That makes sense and I suppose those on eBay are for fitting into the Harley Furguson exhaust and no muffler fitted. I wondered how they got away with no mufflers here in Oz......now I know. Thing is would it cause the problem I have? I think I'll refit the iron head and that way I should be able to tell if it cures the problem. If I fit the alloy head then I wont know whether the problem was the head or the exhaust.....that's if all comes good once assembled. Wish me luck. Cheers. Gerry