Author Topic: Primary problem finally sorted?  (Read 514 times)

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
Primary problem finally sorted?
« on: 14.04. 2014 21:03 »
I was browsing on here last night and came across the tip to use a ratchet strap over the seat and round the swingarm to simulate the weight of the rider when adjusting the rear chain.
So this morning I taped a tall  piece of cardboard to the chainguard, climbed onto the rear ot the seat and used the mudguard stay as a reference to mark the height of the seat with me on the bike. Strapped a big ratchet trap round the seat and swing arm and compressed to the marker.
Blimey, the rear chain was tight!
No wonder it felt like the suspension was bottoming when I hot a bump at speed, but more significantly I may have solved a problem I've had ever since I built the bike. I have had to keep re-adjusting the primary (belt) drive as it keeps tightening up. Well, now I have and explanation for it. The tight rear chain must have been pulling the gearbox back slightly *roll*
I will take for a hard run in the next few days to test this out.

Even if this is not the issue I must express my thanks for the tip on loading the suspension with a ratchet strap. Sorry I cannot recall who posted it but I owe you one. Its tips like this that make this forum invaluable to me.
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Primary problem finally sorted?
« Reply #1 on: 14.04. 2014 21:32 »
That was BSA54_A10
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Primary problem finally sorted?
« Reply #2 on: 14.04. 2014 23:35 »

I thought you had an idea like that Musky...??

I think a lot of people don't realise the chain is tightest when the sprockets are in the same line as the S/a spindle.
 I reckon ideally the spindle should be on the same centre as the drive sprocket...??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia