Author Topic: Historic Vehicles  (Read 449 times)

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Historic Vehicles
« on: 05.04. 2014 14:54 »
I read on the British Historic Vehicle Clubs website that our Lords and masters across the channel the EU are sticking their noses in where it is not wanted in relation to Historic vehicles . They have issued a new directive which lays down the definition of a Historic vehicle.
   Any vehicle which is considered to be Historic by the Member State of registration or one of its appointed authorising bodies and which fulfils all the following conditions.
  1. It was manufactured or registered for the first time at least 30 years ago.

2. Its specific type,as defined in national or EU law, is no longer in production.

3. It is historically preserved and maintained in its original state and has not sustained substantial changes in the             technical characteristics of its main components.

Now the first two I do not see as causing any problems but the third condition I can see as causing major problems in how it is interpreted. Fortunately it is issued as a directive and not a regulation which means it is upto the the individual member states to interpret  as they wish but even so it could cause problems for quite a number of people.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Historic Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: 05.04. 2014 16:15 »
E10 fuel worries me more!

Offline sparx

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 09.04. 2014 22:58 »
I don't really see it as being an issue. The main components of a bike are the engine and frame, possibly the wheels. I could understand dropping a modern engine into an A10 as making the bike no longer original enough to be classed as "historic", but can't see an issue with things like electronic ignition and clutch mods.
  Having said that, I can see an issue with hybrids such as a Norbsa, Triton, Tribsa etc. I would look at a Triton, for example, as a historic bike, being representative of the sort of modification which was common in the 60's and 70's, but the EU directive would probably rule them out.
  The thing that narks me is unelected over-paid bureaucrats sticking their nose in where it's not wanted or needed.
Dave
Peterborough (UK)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 10.04. 2014 00:14 »
...and if you have something of a bitsa, like mine with later front mudguard and tank, there is very little likelihood that any bureaucrat at the local motor vehicle authority will know what they are looking at anyway. Might go for engines, as well.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 10.04. 2014 10:55 »
You are probably right on that score Richard, when I took my P AND J for inspection by our wonderful DVLA a spotty faced youth ,about 13 yrs old ,came out to look her over, took note of engine frame numbers after I'd pointed them out to him and that was it , on the wayback to the office he said to me " what type of Bantam was that again" nuff said , BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.04. 2014 11:11 »
unelected over-paid bureaucrats

as opposed to our elected overpaid bureaucrats (must be careful on another site yesterday I got mod'd for posting the site for a petition to force a certain Minister to resign)

These suggestions to change things often come to nought providing people concerned make their voice heard, without getting political (it's a waste of time) Google Change.org and have a shufftie

PS - she did resign
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco