Author Topic: Fitting dynamo belt drive to RGS?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
Fitting dynamo belt drive to RGS?
« on: 11.04. 2014 14:10 »
I'm going to have to remove the timing cover on my RGS and considering replacing the dynamo chain drive by a belt drive at the same time?

Is this a wise/sensible move or have there been problems with them?

There looks to be several versions on the market are there recommendations for a particular make, SRM, DR Ltd etc in the UK?

Is removing the old sprockets and chain straight forward and do you need any specific pullers/tools to remove them?

How do you tighten the new pulley's on the shafts as with no chain you are not going to be able to hold/lock them as you tighten the nuts?

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
Re: Fitting dynamo belt drive to RGS?
« Reply #1 on: 11.04. 2014 19:09 »
I used the belt kit from  http://dynamoregulators.com/drive-belt-kit.php

Both kits have a speed increase over the chain, the SRM is a bit slower speed than the one from dynamo regulators Ltd.

The increase in speed will not affect the longevity old the dynamo, indeed it only increases the speed to the same as a mag-dyno assembly.
Cant remember how it went together (must have got old and forgetful) but everything fitted without problems. Heres the instructions,  http://dynamoregulators.com/documents/belt_drive_data.pdf

Lowers the road speed required for a 12 volt dynamo conversion to balance out. Win-Win situation and quiet too.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 11.04. 2014 21:08 »
I to got the Dynamregulator kit on the SA. It's a real improvement, well worth the money. On the SA the standard dynamo keeps the battery on a healthy 12V
So happy with it that I also ordered the same kit for the plunger.

I removed the chain sprockets with a small pulley extractor. For strength I left the chain on while pulling. Just watch out because they can be real tight on the shaft (mine where) and let go with a bang.

I first put on and tightened the drive pulley, then dynamo pulley on finger tight, laid on and tightened the belt and finally tightened the dynamo pulley. Don't forget the cork washer behind the large pulley (soak it in oil first). It's got to be lightly squashed between the pulley and the case for oil tightness.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 11.04. 2014 23:55 »
Thanks for the replies and advice.

It looks like the DR Ltd is the one to go for, also slightly cheaper that the STM version, which looks to be very similar.

I am still only using the original 6V output, but it should hopefully improve the output at lower revs.

Andy

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #4 on: 12.04. 2014 08:09 »
I also fitted the DR kit but the engine is still on the bench, so no tests as yet. No issues to report except take note of  the  comments above on sprocket removal, particularly the dynamo sprocket. Choice of puller is key to removing the sprocket without damaging the relatively soft threaded end of the armature spindle. On mine the sprocket was VERY tight!
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #5 on: 12.04. 2014 08:32 »
I have the DR belt drives in both my A10's and cant fault them. Easy to fit and work well. The one in my s/arm bike has done about 10,000 miles.

I would certainly recommend them.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 12.04. 2014 09:02 »
SRM belt drive on both my bikes, no problems one even managed to drive with the chamber full of oil (don't ask)

the newer ones on the market may be just as good could be even better - go for it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco