Author Topic: Magnetic Nightmares  (Read 583 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Magnetic Nightmares
« on: 14.04. 2014 21:52 »
So, I went looking for this little strip of neodymium magnets I have so that I could use the strip to hold something temporarily in place. The strip is three little magnet buds on a plastic backing about 1-1/4" x 3/8" x 1/16". I couldn't find it right away where I expected to find it (stuck to the side of an awl I used to retrieve helicoil tangs from dead-end holes). Suddenly I am having an "Oh Sh*t!" moment and ask myself "What if it's stuck to the side of the crankshaft in my now-assembled and in-the-bike engine?" I'm still looking and my work areas are getting ever-cleaner. This magnet could have stuck to anything and maybe just gotten thrown out. It would be a cruel joke to dismantle the engine again and not find it, and even crueler if I ignore it and it's in there. If I don't find it, I'm thinking the sump plate is coming off first, followed by rocker box, head and barrels, unless I can convince myself that the chance of it being in there is vanishingly small.

Went to bed last night and woke up this morning thinking about it.

Best regards,

The Village Idiot
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Magnetic Nightmares
« Reply #1 on: 14.04. 2014 22:30 »
Our sympathy is with you Richard *ex*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 14.04. 2014 23:16 »

That's the kinda crap thing I do... *conf*, wish you hadn't told me how handy it is- I'm bound to see one and buy it so I can lose it 'somewhere'...!
  Hope you find it easy, one thing for sure- it'll be in the last place you look..!

I bought a small camera on a flexy cable from Jaycar (our electronickery gadget shop) with 2 small led searchlights, it's handy for looking inside things

Good luck
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 15.04. 2014 11:12 »
Don't ya hate that!!! Good luck mate. Get the cook to have a look, often works for me.
That's a good idea duTch. I got mine to have a look at the bores.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 15.04. 2014 12:36 »
I know that feeling... hope it all goes well. Sure they are not on the fridge door?  *smile*

---------------
Dutch, that's a fine tool, will look for one on ebay.

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 15.04. 2014 15:44 »
Oh crap Richard , I do that so often but ,so far, things have always  turned up and not in  the worse possible place , so fingers crossed .I gota agree with Musky ,send in your better half ,after hiding any projects/ expensive tools  which you haven't mentioned , should find it in 2 mins . then get ear bashing for state of workshop/etc would be worth it, best of luck, Bobh
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 15.04. 2014 17:02 »
Lads I feel I must draw your attention to a reply I got many moons ago when recalling my wife being in my shed "Bill if your little woman can get in your shed her chains too long" do I need to point out the reply came from an Aussie. anyone here remember or was it on another list
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #7 on: 15.04. 2014 17:53 »
^^^ lol, funny remark but was just about to write "hopefully not here", but a perpetrator already posted this in 2009...  http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2033.msg13135#msg13135  *smile*

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 15.04. 2014 18:28 »
Yep that one stuck with me
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
« Reply #9 on: 15.04. 2014 21:09 »
I found that one too, e. That sounds like me. I can't find the original post, it might have been in a PM.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 16.04. 2014 00:54 »
First, apologies, if necessary, for wasting time and server space but,

I FOUND IT!

and I'm so damn happy I'm beside myself. Have a seat Richard. Thank you, Richard. *smile* *smiley4* *grins* *smil*

Decided to pull everything out from under the work bench. No happiness. Went and mournfully swept in another part of the garage. Went back to the bench and there it was on the floor in front of me. Must have fallen out from between folds in a piece of scrap sheet aluminum I have, because if it had been steel, I would have checked it for sticking.

Thanks, all, for the moral support. It did help me keep looking, just so I could have this moment to jump for joy and squeal with glee (figuratively, of course) right here in front of you folks. I was already envisioning the tear down and not riding for a long time.

Richard L.

Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
« Reply #11 on: 16.04. 2014 01:27 »
Very glad you found it Richard. *yeah*
I did a big clean up over the weekend. Found all those valve collets and pilot jets lost to dark corners.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #12 on: 16.04. 2014 02:04 »
Congrats++ now you can sleep well  *smile*

And come help me find my beloved old Fluke multimeter? which I think I left on the roof of my car after doing some work, then drove off. No trace of it. But at least, it's not inside the engine, should be happy enough about that!

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 16.04. 2014 11:21 »
Glad that panics over Richard ,seems it's struck a cord with all of us . Lesson learnt on my part time to clean my garage! While you were looking for the magnets I'd decided to drain the chaincase ,rather pleased has my drain screw worked ,should I put the screw on the bench ,no thinks I to many gearbox parts there ,so left by the oil container on the floor ,noone but me would be there until I sort it tomorrow. I walzed in next day forgot about the screw until I heard a metalic ding from somewhere across the garage ,even then it wasn't until i went put it back in I realised my stupity ,can I find it ,not a chance ,so Friday it'll be rubbish to tip and bike out and a bloody good clean up and of course just when I've another screw from my box o'bits I'll turn round and the original will be in the middle of the floor !! Then I'll go for a lie down and stop foaming at the mouth !Get the bike sorted ,Richard and go for a ride, best wishes Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 16.04. 2014 14:39 »
Bob,

I think I mentioned, some years back now, that nothing gets your garage/shed clean faster than a missing part. My work bench and garage floor haven't been this clean in years. It's almost a pity to start back in, knowing that assembly operations will soon pass by the cleanup operation.

Richard L.