Author Topic: engine a7 a10  (Read 966 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
engine a7 a10
« on: 16.04. 2014 12:33 »
hi , i have the chance of buying a engine for my a7cheap , its nearly all there but theres no engine number ,  will i have trouble registering the bike it has no docs  . thanks tw
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
Re: engine a7 a10
« Reply #1 on: 16.04. 2014 13:22 »
Is Your bike already registered ?
If so it may be an idea to notify Your insurers & D.V.L.A (although Im not certain what You would declare) You that You have replaced the engine ?
Maybe You could use Your Own crankcases ?

Someone more clued up will help You .
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 16.04. 2014 14:19 »
Hi TW,

The frame number is the most important thing for registration purposes and the engine number is a secondary consideration and not that important.

My question would be:- why is there no number with this engine you have the chance of getting?  Are the crankcases missing or has the original engine number been defaced?  If the answer is yes to either of these I would consider looking round for another set of crankcases sporting a genuine number.  If it's neither then we would need more information.

However, if you have the chance of a cheap engine, even though it's not 100% complete, then go for it.  You can then start looking for the missing parts and ultimately get another bike up and running.

Beezageezauk.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 16.04. 2014 15:31 »
totally agree ,you'd be mad to pass up on cheap but legit parts ,doesn't happen often and could be the start of another project. Strangely enough a pal of mine phoned me last week after he'd just paid out for a plunger engine minus head ,had he got a good deal ? I told him I'd have snapped the guys hand off , he paid £20 lucky sod, best of luck with what you decide to do, BobH 
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 16.04. 2014 15:39 »
Some years ago I was considering buying a Norton that did not have an engine number and I contacted the DVLA about registration and was told it would not be a problem it would be registered on the frame number engines are secondary as beezageezauk has said. I believe that back in the day if you needed new crankcases the manufacturer would supply them to the dealer unstamped  and the dealer would restamp them with the original number,but if an individual bought them they would again be supplied unstamped and it would be up to the owner if they stamped them or not as long as the original number has not been defaced then you have not got a problem.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 16.04. 2014 16:34 »
yep,that is correct has recounted by myself before ,whilst working for 2 main BSA/Trihard dealers it was up to the dealer ,if on the ball they'd do it if not who cared was the atitude,BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 17.04. 2014 14:30 »
hi everybody, thank you all for your much valued info, the bike is without paperwork or reg , i wish i could pick a engine up for £20 there arent many of those about, i havent seen the engine so i dont know if its been erased or if its as bikerbob suggested new cases at sometime. i dont know if they did matching numbers at that time   my old a10 doesent have matching numbers i dont suppose it matters any way.    anyway thanks again you are all a mine of information    tw  *smiley4*

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 17.04. 2014 16:37 »
TW,

I believe that BSA's only had matching engine and frame numbers from 1967 onwards and I would presume that when sellers of pre-1967 models advertise them as having "Matching Numbers" they actually mean that the numbers match the information on the registration document.

Beezageezauk.

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 17.04. 2014 18:53 »
I agree with Beezageezauk.

If the engine and frame numbers are the same items that originally left the factory, then it is a matching numbers machine.

Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Norton International Model 40 1949
Triumph Thruxton R 2016
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring 2014

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 21.04. 2014 08:38 »
hi everybody , i got the engine today it looks to me as if its been worn off many moons ago , it might have to go to the back of the shed for a while , as you say its good stock ,   cheers   tw

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 21.04. 2014 22:54 »
Stamp sets are cheap enough.