Author Topic: Removing Engine from frame  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Byfleet Beeza

• Active
Removing Engine from frame
« on: 25.04. 2014 14:22 »
H, Everyone.

Here's my first very basic  A10 query. (Sorrry it's so basic!)
The barrels, heads, carb. oil tank, petrol tank etc are all off the bike. I want to remove the engine from the frame so that I can transport the frame and engine in manageable weight to home from my lock up in a non m/c trailer.

I have removed all the bolts holding the engine to the frame, but when I (on my own) try to lift the engine up and to the left to get it away from the frame, it seems to be fouling somewhere.

I presume the engine has to be taken out to the left hand side as the lug on the engine to the rear of the distributor would be bolted to the corresponding lug on the frame adjacent to the oil tank, so the lug on the frame stops the engine being able to be lifted to the right.

Do I need to remove the bracket / mounting around the dynamo to get the engine out?
Is the engine too heavy to remove on my own?

The engine, with the pre unit still attached, will lift a centimetre or so, but then 'jams' somewhere.

I'm  a bit disappointed that such a basic task is giving me a problem. Your comments are gratefully accepted.

I have disconnected the speedo cable fom the headlight nacelle as I couldn't get the cable out of the gearbox casing. The nut / flange turned a full turn or so then locked. I tried holding the cable nut and turning  both the lock nut and cable nut, clockwise, anticlock, etc , then opposite but although they move, they lock within a turn or so. When I get the engine out, I presume the gearbox cover has to come off to ascertain the problem.

Thanks, Guys..............
Steve
'54 A10 Plunger
A10 and some other rusting beauties

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Removing Engine from frame
« Reply #1 on: 25.04. 2014 14:39 »
Hello, swingarm or plunger ? (see http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=419.0)
Maybe the instructions in the service sheets can be helpful > http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=1475.0

Would recommend a second pair of hands, to avoid back pains, damage to paint on frame etc, eventually have some padding material and levers available.

About the speedo drive, post in "Clutch, Primary & Gearbox" if you need help.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 25.04. 2014 15:00 »
Yes chapter 05 at  http://www.bsawiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Chapter_list
 describes it.
Cheers
PS I put in your model in your signature. I had to look back at your posts to see what bike you had. *beer*
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 25.04. 2014 17:48 »
Hello, swingarm or plunger ?

Dear a10gf:

I know you're new to the forum and navigation can be tricky. If you click on a member's name you will be taken to a page where you can choose to see their earlier posts. Ah yes, in his first post Byfleet mentions it's a plunger.  *smile* ;) >:D

(OK, I know I'm in trouble now).

Richard L.

adm edit, lol++, but even better with and updated signature, and a 'Like' to Steve for just that.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 25.04. 2014 17:55 »
 Interesting about the three washers between the generator plate and engine case..?
I almost forget the full detail, but think that once the left genny plate is off, you need to :P ease up the gearbox end, kind of rotate the unit slightly on the top genny/ frame lug until the bottom front engine bolt lug clears the frame, :P then spin unit clockwise so the r/h genny plate is clear of the frame lug...?

I think it's actually much easier to take the r/h genny plate completely off (which requires removing the genny, but you need to do that anyway-)...

hope that's of some help..?

Green pointy hat Richard... *smile*...don't worry, it looks like a one size fits all hat so I can see me in it at some stage.. *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #5 on: 25.04. 2014 19:43 »
When you are all by yourself, no extra hands available, have any of you fellas tried the engine laying on its side method, with the proper shims (wood blocking to have the motor fit in the frame bolt holes).  Then lay the frame down over the motor, and get four bolts started, then just stand the bike up and finish the job on the center stand, this works on a lot of different bikes.  ????   These A-10 motors with an alloy head weigh in at about 135 to 145 U S pounds.  That is pretty tough for one guy, even a huge strapping muscle type guy, because it is very awkward to handle by yourself.  The bikes with cast Iron heads weigh out even more.

BILL
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 25.04. 2014 21:48 »
Good point Bill.
That's how I got the motor out and in on a Kwaka 1300 water cooled six cylinder by myself.
I try to strip the motor as much as possible (head, barrels, primary & clutch) while the motor is in the frame. Makes for a much lighter dance partner. Lift, tilt, twist and lift.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Byfleet Beeza

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 25.04. 2014 23:12 »
Hello.

Thanks, Muskrat, for putting my details right.

Thanks for the link to the service sheets. I've checked the page so I'll remove the dynamo cover. I think everything else is disassemblled.

I've got a ' pre' Haynes workshop manual for the A10, but it's a bit sketchy in detailing this area.
Steve
'54 A10 Plunger
A10 and some other rusting beauties

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #8 on: 26.04. 2014 00:57 »
All of the manuals were written in an era when every 12 year old could pull apart any motorcycle with their eyes closed so they expect the reader is very mechanically familiar & compitentant .
The haynes books are not much better in that way.
BSA in their infinate wisedom worked this out and did some wall charts showing how to do things step by step with a one sentence caption under each photo.
Even more clever they put these in the genuine gasket kits thus encouraging the home mechanic to pay the extra 50% for the genuine gasket kit so don't beat yourself up if you fine it lacking info.
The Trevor method was to jack up the engine removing the plates and gearbox the put a pair of chairs either side of the engine, a lump of 2" steel tube on the chairs, tie the engine to the tube then slide the rope sideways till it as clear of the frame.
Worked well till mum caught me.
Went from that to a lump of rope hanging from the roof, tied to engine with the bike on the center stand, pull off all the usual bits, shove the bike off the centerstand and drag the fram away from the suspended engine.
Learned to tie a "sheeps shank" so used several of these to act as a pully so no longer had to push the bike off the center stand.
Used this method in a myriad of rented houses.
Now have an engine hoist, heaven.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #9 on: 26.04. 2014 01:25 »
Steve you need to remove the dynamo and the front engine plates. Once you have done that the engine will lift up and out to the right.

To get the speedo drive out you have to remove a screw that is about half way between the gear shaft and the oval shaped cover where you put oil in. Remove this screw and if your lucky the speedo drive will pull out. They can be difficult though so If it doesnt come out easily I would suggest you remove the engine and gearbox and then take the gearbox cover off. The spindle that drives the speedo cable has little thrust washers on it so be carefull not to lose them.