Author Topic: Then and now.  (Read 364 times)

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Then and now.
« on: 30.04. 2014 11:11 »
How things have changed, we play around with carburetters and magneto's using all sorts of things to get things right including quite a bit of guess work usually.

This is how you tune a modern bike. My son builds race bikes for a overseas concern and this is one of them, the current season ZX10 Kawasaki. He replaces the wiring loom with a race item that has a inbuilt data logger. Go for a ride and then plug it into laptop and have a look and alter the timing or carburettion at the exact points its required. You dont even get your hands dirty !

I wonder what they will be doing in 50 years time.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Then and now.
« Reply #1 on: 30.04. 2014 12:38 »
Hi Brian, they'll all be walking cos the computer broke and there is no one who actually could  fix the computer !! BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 30.04. 2014 12:59 »
Well you won't be fooling with an internal combustion engine anyway.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 30.04. 2014 13:10 »
You will download an app, then sit down behind your computer, and have a virtual ride.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #4 on: 30.04. 2014 13:27 »
When I was a kid I used to read comics about men landing on the moon. Of course that was called "science fiction", we all knew it would never really happen.

Richard you may be closer to the truth than we all think.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.04. 2014 13:54 »
Uh, gents, have you been to a game arcade in the last 20 years? Virtual motorcycle rides are a fact. I tried one several years ago, but the technology moves on and, I'm sure, is becoming more thrilling if not more realistic.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline ShaunMac

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #6 on: 30.04. 2014 19:16 »
I'd like to think I'm mid flight.
I served an apprenticeship working with some great old blokes learning the fundamentals of mechanics. I worked on old tractors and trucks and have worked on progressive technology over the years.
Now I examine vehicles that have been involved in serious & fatal collisions and we still use a bit of the dark arts of measuring skid marks and crush damage but even the vehicles will tell us what happened in a collision soon.
Our control room got a shock the other day when a car phoned in an emergency. A computer telling a human where it was, how many occupants it had and the severity of the impact.
Working on my old BSA is allowing me to bring out some of my old rusty skills though!
61 Super Rocket swing-arm