Author Topic: John Bull Rally, Belgium  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
John Bull Rally, Belgium
« on: 30.04. 2014 19:29 »
How many Belgian or Dutch members do we have here?

I just wondered if anybody from this forum is going to the John Bull Rally in Belgium this weekend.  The venue is the outskirts of Passendale, near Ypres and it's for "Old or British Bikes".

If you are, look out for the green tent sporting the British Union Flag with "BEEZAGEEZAUK" printed on it.  Come up and introduce yourself.  It will be great to meet you.

Beezageezauk.

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: John Bull Rally, Belgium
« Reply #1 on: 30.04. 2014 23:25 »
No promise, but I'll try to drop by on Saturday morning.
Won't be taking the bike though, as I promised the missus a weekend at the coast, and she who must be obeyed LARGELY prefers to go by car....
Sometimes one must bow the head and accept defeat... *dunno*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 01.05. 2014 10:26 »
I hope you can make it Morris. 

I'll be mingling on Saturday morning so I doubt if I'll be at my tent.  But ask for Ray Jackson and somebody will point me out.  Most of us will be out on an organised run on Saturday afternoon but Saturday night will be "Party Night".

Ok, so I'm off to the shed now to pack the bike up and I depart in less than 3 hours for the Hull to Zeebrugge overnight ferry.

Beezageezauk.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 01.05. 2014 12:52 »
That's unfortunate timing. It's not far from Calais and I'm out that way just next week. Ah well.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 01.05. 2014 12:58 »
BTW - If you get a dousing en route and fancy some dry and inviting low cost accommodation for a night then check out:

http://www.grd.be/bikersloft/eng/default.htm

Not a million miles away.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 05.05. 2014 20:36 »
Cyclobutch....sorry for not replying sooner but I've just returned from the John Bull Rally to find your messages.

Pity the timing was a bit out of sync for you but maybe next years event could be a possibility!!  And yes, I know of the Green Dyke.  Quite a few of the Brit guys stay there after the rally.

Morris...It was good to meet up with you on Sunday morning and hope that you enjoyed your visit.  It's always good to be able to put a face to the name!!  I had a trouble free run and covered over 500kms.  In fact, apart from a puncture and a flat(ish) battery, all 8 bikes in out group ran well.

Beezageezauk.

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #6 on: 06.05. 2014 01:22 »
Do you guys own a camera?  I'd love to see any photos of the rally?   *????*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 06.05. 2014 07:35 »
Heyup Wozza,

I can put a bit of a yarn together with pics but it will be about 2 weeks time before I have the time to do it.  I leave for a trip to Portugal tomorrow and I'm busy with higher priority chores around the house for now. 

Watch this space!!

Beezageezauk.

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: 06.05. 2014 20:18 »
Do you guys own a camera?  I'd love to see any photos of the rally?   *????*
Bloody hell Wozza, I was so going up in the chat that I completely forgot to take any pictures...... *red*
You'll have to wait for Beezageeza's shots.
There was a bit of everything from early A7's over B models to Rocket 3's. Nice mix.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 06.05. 2014 20:44 »
Yes indeed.

Plus the V-Twin Indian, V-Twin Enfield, Velocette Venom, Sunbeam S8, Norton Commando Fastback,  Vincent Comet, BSA Silver Star and a brace of Slopers, late 1930's Ariel Red Hunter.....the list goes on...and on....and on.  And I forgot to take a picture of the 250 BSA Starfire that was ridden 2-up with full camping gear.

Good moments are worth waiting for eh??

Beezageezauk.

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #10 on: 07.05. 2014 06:19 »
Your excused Morris & Beezageezauk...   *lol*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 22.05. 2014 20:46 »
Well, other than being extremely busy and travelling to Portugal to collect a bike, I don't have a suitable excuse for not delivering my earlier promise.  So, I'll try to make amends by uploading some pictures taken at the John Bull Rally.

I chose to use the '60 Super Rocket for this trip, mainly because I'd bought it a little over a year ago and I'd never used it out of the UK.  So suitably equipped with hard panniers it was loaded up ready for the journey.

It wasn't long before the weather turn nasty and I arrived slightly damp at the ferry terminal at Hull.  With little or no opportunity for photographs I took this one on my return to give an idea what the overnight ferries are like.

The following morning the weather was quite decent and we rode to the pretty Belgian town of Diksmuide for a lunchtime halt.

It wasn't too far from here to the rally site so instead of boring you with pictures of tents I thought you would be more interested in the machinery.

So....in no particular order of preference we have:-

A Vee-Twin Indian.

Half a Vincent.....the 500cc Comet.

A BSA Sloper.

A well used BSA Star Single.

Norton Commando Fastback

A lovely Velocette.

An early Ariel Red Hunter.

And a home made car for the children to buzz about in.

And that was just a few of the more interesting machines there.  Yes, there were others, but I'll treat this viewing as an example.

On our return we called in at Sluis (Netherlands) prior to re-boarding the return ferry.

Out of the 8 bikes in our group 1 had a rear wheel puncture and one coil ignition A65 had to swap a battery with one from an A10 that was running on a magneto.  Not bad I suppose in the spannering department.

Overall, the weekend was most enjoyable and the organisers, being part of the Belgian BSA Owners' Club, worked their socks of to make everybody feel so welcome.  I'm now looking forward to next years John Bull Rally which will be held towards the North East corner of Belgium.  Anybody like to join us??

Beezageezauk.