Author Topic: Dynamo Drive Sprocket and Idler Gear  (Read 1859 times)

cash

Dynamo Drive Sprocket and Idler Gear
« on: 28.01. 2009 21:21 »
Hello everyone,
Another newbie with dumb questions.

I've got a 1960 A10 with the cam timing out and I cannot get the dynamo drive sprocket off the idler gear shaft. The manual I have just skips the issue. Is it possible to remove the centre timing section complete with the idler and spocket?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Cash

Offline stratcat

• A's Good Friend
Re: Dynamo Drive Sprocket and Idler Gear
« Reply #1 on: 28.01. 2009 21:34 »
Off the top of my head, I can't see why you couldn't leave the dynamo attached to the inner cover, but it will be an awkward heavy lump swinging around on that inner cover.

I recall bending the sprocket all out of shape on mine. It's really soft metal and was easily bent back into shape. I used a proper puller but could only grip the teeth of the sprocket. As you have found there's not a lot to get hold of.
I did use it for a short while, then replaced the chain with a belt so replaced the sprocket anyway.

There's no such thing as a dumb question. The only dumb question is the one you wished you'd asked after you've broken something.

cash

« Reply #2 on: 28.01. 2009 22:05 »
stratcat,
Thanks for your quick reply.
Looks like I'll have to get a little rough and take the chance I won't bust it.

Cash

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.01. 2009 22:13 »
It's a while since I have removed one but I think I just get two screwdrivers opposite one another and lever the sprocket up.
This is the way to remove the generator sprocket, two drivers under the boss, not the teeth, and lever up.
Most generators I have seen have the thread on the shaft ruined by butchers with big hammers.
  Trev.

If removing the generator sprocket, leave the nut on the shaft loose. This saves searching for the sprocket when it flies off.

cash

« Reply #4 on: 29.01. 2009 19:00 »
Hi Trev,
 My mate Trev a Super Rocket nut said the same thing, it's so very tight the sprocket was bending. I reckon it'll break before it comes off. I've found a neat puller so I'll have ago tomorrow.
Thanks,
Cash

Offline terryk

• Valued Contributor
  • Townsville Queensland Australia
« Reply #5 on: 30.01. 2009 16:31 »
Put some heat on it mate. If you dont have an oxy set or gas use a hair dryer up real close to the sprocket also buy a small puller they are available. You can give the bolt of the puller a tap with the hammer once you have put some pressure on it. Have fun.
1950-53 A10 rigid/plungers, 1958-61 A10 super rockets, 1947-50 A7 longstrokes, 1949 Star twin,
1951-54 A7 plungers, 1940s M21, WDM20s,
1948-50s B33s rigid/plunger/swingarm, 1948-50s b31s rigid/plunger/swingarm

cash

« Reply #6 on: 30.01. 2009 17:59 »
It's off my old puller worked, bent it a bit but its repairable.

Thanks you guys *smile*

Cash