Author Topic: BSA Wings  (Read 536 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
BSA Wings
« on: 08.05. 2014 15:32 »

It's bothered me for a while and have done a few searches, but does anyone know the origin of the BSA wings- as in on the tank badges etc....???

They a bit/lot like Asterix..??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: BSA Wings
« Reply #1 on: 08.05. 2014 17:56 »
Wonder if it comes from Airco in some way, BSA obtained the firm in around 1920, had it for a year and then closed it.
Airco thought to be the biggest  aircraft builder in the world in 1918, chief designer was a certain Geoffrey de Havilland   

This and many other facts of doubtful significance came to light last Tuesday in a talk I gave to our local U3A on the History of BSA, seemed to go down well enough especially the bit about the Dockers.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 08.05. 2014 19:47 »
Look familiar?
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.05. 2014 01:39 »

Yes it does look kind've familiar, thinking I read about de Havilland not long ago...may've made a sub-conscious connection.
  I think what I more had in mind was what kind of bird was the model..?

Am curious partly because the Gutzzi emblem is a Falcon because the creators were in the Italian Air Force together, maybe my next bike will be a 777 or somethin'- wonder where I could find a spare one of those.??

Bill funny coincidence, but the only 'Dockers' I know of is a Aussie band my mate is the drummer for- Painters & Dockers, they lived in Port Melbourne took their name from the Wharfies
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #4 on: 23.05. 2014 10:26 »
As far as motorcycles are concerned the winged B first appears in the first post WW II catalogue printed in 1944 for the 1945 season.
Prior to that it was B.S.A in 6 different scripts.
The wing appears in the 1946 bicycle catalogue .

AFAIK the Guns division never used the wing and to today the BSA sights still use the B . S . A label and of course the piled arms.
So my guess is that the wing was to diffentate guns from peace time activities
Bike Beesa
Trevor