Author Topic: magneto sprocket removal - help needed  (Read 3138 times)

JDFitz

magneto sprocket removal - help needed
« on: 29.01. 2009 08:33 »
Hi all. I need to remove my magneto and am not sure how to get the sprocket off. There doesn't seem to be enough room around the sprocket to get a puller, prybar/screwdriver, hammer and brass drift on or behind it. I have the manual advance mag, btw. Thanks in advance.

Offline terryk

• Valued Contributor
  • Townsville Queensland Australia
Re: magneto sprocket removal - help needed
« Reply #1 on: 29.01. 2009 09:44 »
There should be thread around where the nut holds it on, you need a puller that screws in that thread to get it off.
1950-53 A10 rigid/plungers, 1958-61 A10 super rockets, 1947-50 A7 longstrokes, 1949 Star twin,
1951-54 A7 plungers, 1940s M21, WDM20s,
1948-50s B33s rigid/plunger/swingarm, 1948-50s b31s rigid/plunger/swingarm

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 29.01. 2009 20:51 »
The pinion should have a set of threaded holes in it for a puller kinda like this one:

You'll have to find some other bolts to thread into the pinion holes than what comes with one like the pictured standard kind from an auto parts store, I seem to recall they're CEI or BSF but can't remember fer sure.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 29.01. 2009 21:03 »
Beezalex, that is the puller for the camshaft pinion. Terry is correct in his reply.
  Trev.

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 29.01. 2009 22:09 »
I coulda sworn I had pulled one with some threaded holes in it, but I could be wrong...  I realize they also have the central thread for the correct puller...just trying to provide a cheaper alternative.   Obviously, this wouldn't work if there are no threaded holes off-center of the pulley.

Cheers...
Alex

Too many BSA's

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #5 on: 30.01. 2009 00:14 »
No reason why a pinion couldn't have had a couple of holes tapped to use a simple puller like beezalex'. I seem to have ended up with a variety of pinions hereabouts on various machines - some use a female thread in the pinion's centre, others have a couple of threaded holes for the simpler puller. One bike has both. Extractors for the 2-hole jobs are a heck of a lot easier to make . . . The only thing I don't like myself is the fibre pinion and ATD with the coarse left hand thread self-extractor. Ought to have been made with an internal shoulder-to-shoulder self-extract. Mind you, the fibre job's teeth probably worn down like an old dog's teeth by then away, feeble thing that it is . . .
Best of all worlds is when the mag pinion and the camshaft(s) come off with the same tool . . . .
Bill

JDFitz

« Reply #6 on: 01.02. 2009 06:53 »
Thanks for the replies guys. I was hoping to get the mag removed by Saturday, but had too much other stuff to do around the house not mention running errands. Hopefully next weekend I'll get to take a shot at it. Thanks again.

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 03.02. 2009 15:41 »
right then, for the fiber manual advance gear you do need the right tool. mine was very specific, requiring the ordering of a new tool, so you may want to go ahead and start that well before the next free moment you get (can you tell I feel your pain ;-) )

I got mine thru domiracer (if you're in the US) without too much trouble, and I can tell you if you're taking it off, you'll likely have to pull it a few more times in the process of retiming!! its good to have the right tool so you don't break the gear or bugger up the threads for next time.
\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=