Author Topic: Cap in hand  (Read 647 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Cap in hand
« on: 19.05. 2014 13:58 »
Been busy, changed the wing type cap that came with the tank, it leaked was difficult to push down and screw closed, so had this one in hand , it came with a brass reducer that turned out to be for a smaller neck and not needed, so Dremmell to the rescue (well Skil actually ), a smear of sealant and a combination of puller, washers and dead blow hammer and it's on, a good tight fit but will turn if your careful, two small brass rivets will complete the job.

The badge is the second one to go this way, I bought a pair to replace the first one so I've got a spare,  any tips going as to how to avoid this, hopefully the replacements are better quality
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bassgreg

• Moving Up
Re: Cap in hand
« Reply #1 on: 19.05. 2014 14:17 »
badge backing peeling looks to be just poor quality finishing, but since you have a sick one to play with, I suspect that sealing the back with lacquer would help prevent this.

Now, here is why the old sick one will be handy, some lacquers would react with the backing and simply make it worse so there is the opportunity to try things out on a reject before messing up a good one. It is the sort of thing I would try, something water based for model making is probably a good place to start.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 19.05. 2014 14:36 »
Cheers bassgreg good idea re the paint, the main issue is the screw hole pulls through, don't know if it's  possible to build it up with something clear and re enforce it
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bassgreg

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 19.05. 2014 20:16 »
I will have a think about that, a couple of layers of fiberglass matt reinforcing the back might do the trick. again the resin choice will be dependent on what the paint can resist.

without looking closely I am guessing it is vibration and screw tension. Another possible fix would be to sandwich a layer of ether foam between the badge and the tank, that would hold the badge in place nice and firm with slightly less pressure on the screw. It needs to be closed cell foam to prevent it absorbing and holding moisture. This would allow the badge to flex and move slightly which in theory would stop the screws pulling through, a simple shock mount.

Those badges are too costly to do much experimenting with, anybody else found a fix that works?

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 19.05. 2014 20:49 »
G'day Bill.
Just another example of the rubbish being made today.
As bassgreg suggests a clear acrylic lacquer will keep the paint in place and a stainless steel washer placed behind the hole and held with said lacquer should stop it cracking. Did for me.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Stephen Foster

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 19.05. 2014 22:05 »
Not really the answer to Your particular problem but I think originally a rubber ring was fitted behind the round badge ?
Only seen this in parts book though .
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline bassgreg

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 20.05. 2014 08:47 »
Well, the rubber ring would act as a shock mount, taking the pressure off the screw holes. That might prevent the screws pulling through.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 20.05. 2014 10:14 »
Trouble is the screws (and nuts) hold the badge onto a spring clip, the badge has to be slid in from the top so pressure is always going to be a factor when fitting them and no doubt cracks occur when fitting them, also when sliding the badge on a piece of card is a good idea just to stop it scraping on the tank chrome.
Good news is I've found the broken bit so I'll try some polystyrene glue on it then if it sticks probably try some glass fibre, then the paint.
So thanks for the suggestions ,I'll let you know if/what works.

Damn right about the quality of stuff Muskrat, tank looks ok in the photo but chrome's rubbed off here and there and odd pock marks on it, Indian of course but where do you have a choice, the tank on my Flash is also got rust coming through but it was chromed 15 /16 years ago and has been used through some wintry nights and in truth back in the day a 15 year old tank would be showing signs also
All the best - Bill

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 20.05. 2014 11:10 »

Bill, How about a blob of silicone carefully placed and  'sculpted'.. :P...? I'm not up on how it goes, but even put in place with some silicone grease or similar on the tank so it doesn't stick, but forms it's place..?

...if yea know what I mean..??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 20.05. 2014 11:21 »
...if yea know what I mean..??

I think I do - like a pillow effect - worth a try
All the best - Bill

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 20.05. 2014 22:38 »

I think I do - like a pillow effect - worth a try

Yep, tried it - worked ok but got bored.... *conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #11 on: 23.05. 2014 10:01 »
File out the holes in the badge holder a little bit further apart.
Put a slight bend in the holder
Put a small O ring under the washer under the head of the bolt.
Fill the back with casting silicon.
Pop it on the tank.
trim off the silicon that squeezes out from under the badge,
Run a length of MASKING tape ( denatured bu first sticking it on your trousers ) completely around the tank ( badge up ) and leave it for a couple of days to set.
Bike Beesa
Trevor