Author Topic: Confounded by Bad Compression  (Read 1969 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Confounded by Bad Compression
« Reply #15 on: 28.05. 2014 15:41 »

Yeahbut- yeahbut-....it shouldn't be necessary to do 97 revs anyway, should it??
 Maybe this needs more thinking through than I have brain cells for just now, but....

If the crank dot and the Cam marks are aligned roughly as per 'normal' (they should be in the correct situation every two crank revs?) but irrespective of the idler,the idler should be able to pull out and realign correctly..?

If yea unnerkerstumble (as me Dad used to say)......?

Mayybe that doesn't fix the compression though?

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 28.05. 2014 17:20 »
It should be well known that I am half an idiot, so take that as a warning when you read what I posted in this regard back in '08.

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=789.msg5039#msg5039

I'm pretty sure it's 98 crank turns between dot and dash alignments. If you are one tooth one side or the other from alignment, you could turn in the wrong direction and take 97 to get home (but that would be really dumb).

The reason I didn't want the idler to come off with the outer cover was, if it did, I wouldn't have known whether, or not, it had been in there wrong and causing problems.

Speaking of really dumb, I still have to discover what really dumb thing is causing the low compression (or, maybe, causing me to think I have low compression).

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 28.05. 2014 17:34 »
Removed my post Dutch as I reckon I didn't unnerkerstumble ye first reading, read it again and it made sense
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 28.05. 2014 20:07 »
It should be well known that I am half an idiot...

Speaking of really dumb, I still have to discover what really dumb thing is causing the low compression (or, maybe, causing me to think I have low compression).

Remember way back (about two hours ago) when I said these things, well, my idiot percentage is going up above a 50, as I may have discovered what was causing me to think I had bad compression. Is "True Confessions" still a magazine?

I was just out in the garage and decided to try another compression test, but this time with the timing covers off. On kicking, I was surprised to notice that the timing gear train was not turning with every kick!   *problem* *pull hair out* OH NO! Could all this angst be due to a loose clutch preventing engine turnover and, therefore, yielding bad compression readings. As embarrassing as it is, I hope so. I'll know for sure a little later and let you know.

If I had been devious, this whole thing could have been set up as a game of "Guess the Obscure"' to see if anyone came up with "loose clutch"' but not even I am that devious.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #19 on: 28.05. 2014 20:19 »
Looking good for the Dunce of the year Richard. *lol*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 28.05. 2014 20:24 »
NOT AGAIN!

But, hey, I did predict that it might be something just making me think it was bad compression. Now, you've got me hoping for a massive crack in the head (A10's, that is), just to save face.

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 28.05. 2014 20:35 »
Are we to expect another change of name, we never had this trouble with that Manosound fella *sarcastic*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 28.05. 2014 22:05 »
Before I am pilloried and pelted with rotten tomatoes, please do recall that this whole thing started with a very good compression test without clutch or any other difficulties. that is why I was calling on you folks to step forward and boldly exclaim, "Richard, your clutch must have stopped working." But, did you? Did you? No. Next time don't be so shy. ;) *smile* But really, I do appreciate the suggestions put forward.

Richard L.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #23 on: 28.05. 2014 22:21 »
Did you check the clutch Richard? It may be slipping....
Or else it's the timing side gear slipping on the cranckshaft *evil*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #24 on: 29.05. 2014 00:26 »
After careful consideration I've come to the realization that it's these little hiccups that keep us INSANE ..   *pull hair out*   
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 29.05. 2014 01:43 »
Did you check the clutch Richard? It may be slipping....
Or else it's the timing side gear slipping on the cranckshaft *evil*

*lol*

After careful consideration I've come to the realization that it's these little hiccups that keep us INSANE ..   *pull hair out*   

*smile*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 29.05. 2014 10:05 »

Hey Richard- I'm sure you're not an idiot, I know what one of them is- but it's nice to have someone else take the pressure off.... :!

Bill- I didn't see it anyway, but ears didn't burn off, so can't have been too bad- so do you think I'm correct in saying that the crank and cam marks should be in the correct alignment every two revs irrespective of where the idler is...??......so it should be a matter of pulling the idler out at this point and replace it and the marks all should be hunky dory...?...and if not, it'll be obvious- unlike losing count at 89,90,91,9_..?
 I think I did it when mine was apart, and it works ok...??
 Hey Richard- just one other thing slipped my mind- is by any chance your clutch adjusted ok...??  *smile*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #27 on: 29.05. 2014 13:51 »
Richard , I told you 6 spring clutchs are sneaky, pesky things ?? Glad you've sorted it out in time for summer regards Bob. 
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom