Author Topic: Fitting Dynamo Regulators Dynamo belt kit  (Read 1666 times)

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
Fitting Dynamo Regulators Dynamo belt kit
« on: 26.05. 2014 19:32 »
I'm in the process of fitting the dynamo belt kit and would appreciate some advice from any of you who have already fitted one.

The recommended tension is when you can twist the middle of the lower run by about 45 deg each way. There is fair amount of rotation of the dynamo over which that is possible so how do you gauge the correct tension?

There is a raised boss between the top and bottom runs, see photo in second page of fitting instruction http://www.dynamoregulators.com/documents/belt_drive_data.pdf, should you able to easily press the lower run to touch this boss or not?

Is is wise to use some loctite on the dynamo nut as it is simply not possible to apply force to tighten the nut without it slipping?

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Fitting Dynamo Regulators Dynamo belt kit
« Reply #1 on: 26.05. 2014 21:15 »
G'day sprint.
The belt shouldn't be able to touch the boss easily but can with some effort. That boss has more than likely been hit by the chain and left gouges on it. This destroyed two belts on mine. Tensioned to the rec setting the belt will hit it so tension a bit tighter or remove the boss as I did on my cafe. (can't find the picture)
I don't use loctite on that nut. If the taper is good a gentle tap should lock it enough to tighten the nut.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 26.05. 2014 22:22 »
Hi Sprint,
I go with Musky.
These belts are steel reinforced so won't snap that easily and can have a fair bit of tension.
I didn't use the spring washers that came with the kit though as I found them a bit heavy.
I have a batch of soft and thin spring washers I use for that kind of purpose.
Normally you shouldn't have trouble tightening the nut with the belt correctly tensioned. You could overtighten the belt a bit, tighten the nut and then back off again
I have done nearly 2000 miles since the conversion and when I opened the timing case recently, the belt was still as new.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 27.05. 2014 15:25 »
Thanks for the replies and advice.

Andy

Offline denis

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 27.05. 2014 15:30 »
Good day all,

if i may squeeze in a little trouble/question I have with that kit; The bigger wheel is in the way of the cover on mine, it touches on the little wall between the wheel and the oil pump, on the cover side.  What am i doing wrong? 

Thanks , Denis 

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 27.05. 2014 17:46 »
My first one did the same Dennis, I ground a little of the wall away and checked the outer cover, it was okay.
I have a few inner and outer covers and they do differ a little from one to another, probably just different casts
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 27.05. 2014 19:27 »
I have had no problem on mine, so it must be as Bill suggests that there is some variance in the castings.

Is it the inner or outer case that you are having a problem with?

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: 27.05. 2014 20:47 »
Hi denis,

I don't now how I missed the fact that there was another fellow countryman around but somehow I did... *red*
Only a couple more and we beat the Brits and Aussies *smile*

I had the same issue with the plunger. The outer cover doesn't fit the inner very well also, which makes me think it has been replaced at some stage.
Like Bill, I got the invaluable dremel out and ground a little bit away on the inside of the cover until it cleared.
If its the outer cover, smear a bit of grease on the edge of the bigger pulley. Then put the cover on. The trace of grease the pulley leaves on the edge tells you how far you have to go
The SA didn't have this problem though, and also the outer cover on the SA fits the inner noticeably better
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 27.05. 2014 20:53 »
G'day sprint. Looks good but what is this?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: 27.05. 2014 20:58 »
Well spotted Musky!
Now I'm curious to!
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 27.05. 2014 21:21 »
tab washer (on vacation I'd say)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #11 on: 27.05. 2014 22:56 »
tab washer (on vacation I'd say)
Right! tab washers also have the right to relax sometimes says the tab washer union.... *smile*
Although from experience they usually take a day off on a most inconvenient moment...
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 28.05. 2014 08:42 »
G'day sprint. Looks good but what is this?

Well spotted.

I too was concerned when I first saw the photo but it is just an effect of the flash.

If you can blow the photo up or look very carefully it is in fact the teeth of the crank gear with the reflection of the orange oil on the surface behind.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 28.05. 2014 08:43 »
 I also had the same issue fairly much same spot, had to do some sculpting, but also as the surfaces mis-matched, I had to build up a bit on the under(pump)side.....and I think the outer and sculpt that too
  There's piccies in another post here somewhere.....
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline denis

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 28.05. 2014 09:13 »
Thanks guys and long live this forum  *smile*

I did try my spare outer cover with no luck either thinking about the difference in castings.   They are actually very different! I 'll do the carving when time allows.
Morris; we might one day outnumber the Aussie's and the Brits on this forum: I reluctantly sold my non running swing arm to a friend about a month ago.  He will very soon need the knowledge from all you A10 Wizzards aswell! 
Thanks all,

Denis