Author Topic: Beginners toolkit?  (Read 1513 times)

Offline AndyDenmark

• Moving Up
Beginners toolkit?
« on: 29.05. 2014 12:27 »
Hi all

I have just bought a 57 Golden Flash but think the engine block may be a bit older. What would you guys reccommend in the way of spanners etc particularly in relation to their size to start building up a tool selection. I am not yet at the stage of strip downs an rebuilds but just want to keep her tight.

All the Best

Andy

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Beginners toolkit?
« Reply #1 on: 29.05. 2014 14:40 »
G'day Andy.
Sparkplug socket (hex end), 10" shifter (adjustable spanner), 1/4 5/16 & 3/8 W combination (ring & open end) spannerss, 2BA spanner, #2 phillips and flat screw drivers.
That would be a good start.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Andreas Larsen

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 29.05. 2014 14:47 »
Also keep in mind that if your old BSA has been in Denmark (like mine) for the greatest part of it's life, some of the nuts may have been changed to unoriginal sizes in mm rather than inches - That has at least been the case with my GF..

I've been quite happy with my TDC tool and a timing disc as well.
'58 A10 swingarm

Offline AndyDenmark

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 29.05. 2014 15:03 »
I am not sure how long it has been in Denmark for but I will bear that im mind. Is there anywhere in Denmark you would recommend for the whitworth spanners etc?

Offline Andreas Larsen

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 29.05. 2014 15:27 »
I sent you a PM with a list of dealers.
'58 A10 swingarm

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 29.05. 2014 23:15 »
& the famous pushrod tool  *smile* + whithworth socket set.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #6 on: 29.05. 2014 23:52 »
& a packet of cigarette papers..    *eek*

mod edit: not for the local herbs, but to set the timing.

*eek*    *whistle*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #7 on: 31.05. 2014 01:33 »
Go to any of the BSA retail sites and buy a copy of Kim Whites  BSA DVD . This has the service sheets & parts boks for almost every post WW II BSA made.
this will be the most valuable and best value BSA thing you will ever own.
The last item in the parts book for your bike is the tool kit that was supplied with your bike.
This is the minimum took kit you will need.
Next go to this link http://stainlessbits.com/link12.html and download and print a copy of the fasteners list.
At the least it will tell you what the size of every nut bolt & washer was when the bike left the factory.

My particular tool kit fits into one of those tubular plastic chamois boxes which means it will go into a coat pocket. If I have to but it is a bit heavy.
THIS IS THE BIKE KIT . IT STAYS WITH THE BIKE
A different  set of tools get used in the workshop because the first time you use the bikes's tools at home you will end up 50 miles from nowhere and the tool you need to get you home will be on the bench; at home.

Now for the mods, additions etc.
1) a 4" set of GENUINE vice grip pliers, 1 x pointy nose + 1 x short nose ( oft outer used to hold the outer of a broken cable and the pointy to hold the inner, taped to a lever, gets you home )
2) razor blade
3) 2' purple ( horn ) wire
4) 2 spark plugs
5) duct tape re rolled around a socket ( saves space )
6) Impact driver screwdriver tips + short spanner to drive them with ( can use vice grips in a pinch )
7) 4" shifting spanner ( top quality brand mine was $ 25.00 )
8) top quality ( thin walled ) 3/8 drive sockets +  6" extension + 3/8x1/2 adaptor + sockets to fit axel nuts.
9) bolt on cable ends & spare chain joining links ( note plural ) doth strait & stepped ( 1/2 link to some ) & electric terminals ( crimped with vice grips )
10 ) both tubes have METAL caps with valve tool ends

The bike kit has Hazet sockets & Stawhillie spanners because these are top qualith brands made from good steel so are really thin. important when working around hot metal.
Workshop tools are Sidchrome ( Aussie brand ) which are also high quality but made from a slightly lower grade of steel & a bit thicker ( Britool equivalent ).
thus I do not get the two sets mixed up should I not be following the advice I expounded in this reply.  *shh*

the 4" shifter and a small screwdriver live loose in my riding jacket pocket so I can nip up a nut ( mirror usually ) or adjust the carb quickly while stopped at a set of lights or sitting in a servo after refuelling .
This is the only full screwdriver I keep on the bike.

Note I said IMPACT driver tips not cordless screwdriver tips as the latter are far softer & liable to break or chip off.
If you have socket headed cap screws ( allan bolts to some ) fitted then get the impact tips to fit these as well.
Single high quality impact tips can usually be bought from shops that sell bearings, try to avoid the hardwear store kits as there are generally Chineese Shit and only marginally stronger then cordless screwdriver tips.

Now if I am doing a long ride ( 1000 km or more ) without any back up vehicle them I add a small bricklayers dumpy hammer ( good for tent pegs as well ) and a can of tyre inflator which will ususally get you to the camp site where you can fit the replacement tube that you have added to you tool kit.
For long trips I run a second cable along side the clutch cable & cover the ends with a bit of plastic stretch film then duct tape.
I can ride happily with only 1 brake working ( normal actually ) but riding through a town with no clutch is the pits
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 31.05. 2014 09:16 »

Trev, that's epic- would've taken me a whole box to do that.... *beer*

I totally agree about Kim the CD man's DVD, completely changed the ball game...!
Also about the tool kits, I don't disagree- but when doing stuff at home, I try and use the bike kit as much as possible(but it still stays with the bike-at least in theory), simply as being accustomed to using workshop tools it's easy to overlook that one item that may be needed at the wrong time....?

Re cables, once I was at a show on the other side of town and my throttle cable broke about midnight or so, I had a spare screw on nipple so hooked throttle up to front brake lever *eek*  F.brake was outta round anyway-best not used, so left it like that for a few weeks*whistle*
  Coming back from Melbourne about 15yrs ago(on the Moto), I took the back road from Can-berra through Gloucester to Whoopee(Wauchope) where the clutch busted 3 or 4 on a friday arvo, the only 'drama' I had was Coffs Harbour 5pm traffic- fixed it when I made it home to Sunny Coast a few days and 700km later...! Gutzzi slips in gear eaasy as the idle is kinda low... *whistle*

Phew....!... *beer* oh yeah- and tools..

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 31.05. 2014 10:28 »
Couple of suggestions
Some of the bigger nuts on our BSA require a pretty large socket or spanner, if your looking for the proper Whitworth it can be expensive or time consuming to find, take one of the  nuts away with you when shopping  and try a Metric socket on it for size, they are more readily  available.

Also lookout for bundles of cheap plastic ties, they can solve many problems in a shed, holding stuff in place or out of the way
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #10 on: 01.06. 2014 04:24 »
Lots of good suggestions there but would like to know where to get a copy of  Kim Whites  BSA DVD can some one tell me please?
Cheers
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #11 on: 01.06. 2014 05:40 »
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 01.06. 2014 10:16 »

I'm sure Trevs' link will do the job, but as a backup, I bought mine through Union Jacks, used to be on I think Nicholson St ?- but I think they out eastside somewhere now
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #13 on: 01.06. 2014 10:44 »
Kim is in Melbourne Australia
He haunts the Yahoo Made in England site.
And sells the stuff direct ( no cheaper unless he is running out old stock )
In Aus I think only Modak carry them.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #14 on: 01.06. 2014 11:40 »
I got no to the web sight that Trev suggested and have ordered one
thanks
Peter

Busselton West Australia