Author Topic: Oil leakage in the magneto  (Read 3297 times)

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil leakage in the magneto
« Reply #15 on: 03.06. 2014 20:03 »
I'm not saying that's a bad electronic ignition, nor that electronic ignition is "bad."

It's just that the pre-unit riding experience is usually better with a good magneto, than with electronic ignition powered by a dynamo.

All expert bike modifiers please note that I said "usually."

Offline FoxDK

• Moving Up
« Reply #16 on: 04.06. 2014 19:37 »

Joergen - No, i'm not a member yet  ;) But I have talked with "Brødrene Stevns", about that they will look at my Magneto. But thanks for the reply.

John - Ok, thank You. I have checked the breather outlet, it ok. No blockages.

It's maybe a stupid question, but what can end float in the rotating breather sleeve, result in?

Yes, I have the "Haynes Workshop Manual " for A7 and A10.

Regards Frederik

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: 04.06. 2014 20:38 »
G'day Fred.
Best to start a new topic with an unrelated question in a topic.
To answer the breather ? End float of the cam + noisy followers. At worst case scenario the cam could pick up two followers and big costly damage would result. The corks going between the cam pinion and breather come in different thicknesses and the one chosen will be squashed about 0.5 mm by the inner timing cover. Too much squash will cause cam bush and breather wear and make it stiff to turn over.
Cheers 
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 04.06. 2014 22:38 »

Can't recall if I needed to do it, but if the cork was too thin (causing float), I considered the idea of gasket paper shims behind the cork to pack it out, if need be...?

(at least as an interim measure)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 04.06. 2014 23:38 »
Hi, Frederik
It's maybe a stupid question, but what can end float in the rotating breather sleeve, result in?

It causes pressure build up in the engine leading to oil being blown out the breather and leakage from gaskets etc

Musky,
As far as I can tell ??
The cam gear should control the end float on the camshaft , the cam being held by the shoulder inside the cases and the gear pressed home fully onto the cam at the timing case side ????

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #20 on: 05.06. 2014 11:04 »
Your right John  *respect*, I had it idiot about face *red*. If the cork is too thick it can cause wear of the thrust face of the bush, the cam moves inward and all hell breaks loose. I have seen the remnants of it happening. There is usually a little end float and the cork takes it up.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline FoxDK

• Moving Up
« Reply #21 on: 05.06. 2014 21:28 »

Ok. I understand. The Magneto is now disconnected and sent to service.

It was because that John in a previous post, mentioned that I should check than float when I have the timing cover pulled off. But now I understand  ;)

I will check the end float, when i hopefully install the magneto again soon. (I have not the bike nearby at the time).

Best regards,

Frederik