Author Topic: clutch 59 goldflash  (Read 1906 times)

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
clutch 59 goldflash
« on: 02.06. 2014 20:18 »
as posted before in other posts still got clutch trouble, fitted new plates when got the bike and maybe done about 200mls on them. the trouble i'm getting is when you let the clutch lever out to set off the clutch bites then slips then bites again this can happen a couple of times before you finally pull away, the thing  is it only seems to do it when the engine is hot, anyway drained out the oil (atf) and took the cover off to have a look removed the plates, bone dry i thought they would have oil on them?.
not a drop, anyway grabbed hold of the clutch center and there seems to be some movement out/in as if the center nut has not been fully tightened home' took the nut off (tab washers knackered) then pulled the center off basket came with it but all looks ok center is a good fit on the shaft.
its just the lack of oil on the plates thats getting to me, all the clutches i'v seen have had oil on them?.
any comments will be great i'd like to get this right this time before i seal the case back on thanx.  *????*

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
Re: clutch 59 goldflash
« Reply #1 on: 02.06. 2014 20:20 »
oh and by the way does any one know an easy way  to make a tab washer

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.06. 2014 20:49 »
If it's the same as my plunger A10 the clutch runs dry, well possible damp;  the oil is for the chain.

I guess a tab washer could be cut out of a piece of mild steel with tin snips and then fettled with a file.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.06. 2014 22:26 »
Derek,
                Your clutch hub is a rubber cush type and most likely started life on a Triumph.
The BSA one is open and is easy to fit a tab but when using the Triumph type, the BSA tab won't work and the Triumph one won't fit.
Probably best to use a drop of Loctite and torque the nut.

Trev.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 02.06. 2014 23:00 »
Hi Derek,
Is there play (end float) on the gearbox shaft itself?
If there is then either the nut on the rhs is loose (kickstart ratchet nut) or the bearing at the rhs of the mainshaft is in trouble
In your photo I can see some brown crap around the crankshaft nut, this is an indication of movement between the parts !!! Is the nut fully tightened as mentioned in lots of threads here?
I go along with Trev's suggestion and use loctite on the clutch and crank nuts
I have used the "Triumph" type centres without any issues on A10's

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.06. 2014 23:22 »
Me too, John.

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #6 on: 03.06. 2014 06:34 »
yes end float but not to sure it is, you can grab the shaft pull it out a bit but it shoots back when you let go, as if spring loaded.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 03.06. 2014 19:16 »
Hi Derek,
If thats the case then the kickstart ratchet nut on the other end of the mainshaft is loose
when you pull at the mainshaft the ratchet spring is compressing,
You should be able to see this looking in the inspecting cover on the gearbox RHS
The nut must not be overtightened or it will distort the sleeve that the ratchet gear runs on
More "Thread Lock" !!!

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #8 on: 03.06. 2014 19:47 »
just been havin a play in the man cave, think i'd put the clutch plates in wrong had put a friction plate in first & think it should be a plain plate?

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: 03.06. 2014 22:15 »
just been havin a play in the man cave, think i'd put the clutch plates in wrong had put a friction plate in first & think it should be a plain plate?
Right. Common mistake. In fact the first plain plate should also be thicker than the other plain plates, but they are difficult to find.
I have a regular plain as first. Works well. No issues to report.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 04.06. 2014 00:06 »
Hope you haven't sheared the woodruff key on your mainshaft?

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #11 on: 04.06. 2014 20:17 »
right then fitted the clutch plates as they should be, something strange now the pushrod seems to short theres about a inch of play in the cable now, anyway while playing about with the nut and grub screw the nut came off and fell into the gearbox bah.
so took off the cover to get the nut and tighten up the main shaft nut to take out the play, will try to sort out the pushrod when i get the cover on.
the thing is there is a gear selector thingy flopping about and a kickstart spring to go on somehow, is there an easy way to do it?
thanx.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #12 on: 04.06. 2014 20:53 »
G'day Derek.
Assemble the kick start shaft in the outer cover with the spring, put the kick lever on and wind the shaft to load the spring. The clutch arm can be moved out and used as a stop for the kick lever. If it's in neutral there are two dots on the gear selector and case that need to be lined up. When putting the outer cover back on, get it nearly all the way then move the kick lever a bit anti clockwise to line it all up and push cover home.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #13 on: 04.06. 2014 21:05 »
cheers will let you know how i get on

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 04.06. 2014 22:29 »

move the kick lever a bit anti clockwise to line it all up and push cover home.

Probably obvious, but that'll be so the quadrant clears its return travel stop dowel ...?

And there's a sleeve that goes over the outer shaft inside the spring, someone a while ago couldn't see where it went/wasn't/should be.......

I had little to do with these clutches,but was thinking that maybe the travel was caused by the friction plate being further inside the basket than it should be, but already discounted that, as I think it would have the opposite effect....?

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia