Author Topic: Oil tank filter  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Bill ss

• Moving Up
Oil tank filter
« on: 05.06. 2014 21:48 »
I need to give my bike an oil change but i don't have a socket to fit the drain bolt,doe's anyone know the size,i assume its whitworth.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil tank filter
« Reply #1 on: 05.06. 2014 23:38 »

'day Bill, what kind of bike is it....? A10/7 Sump stud nuts are 3/8 WW - 7/16 A/F....unless it has Allen heads?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 05.06. 2014 23:59 »
Actually a 7/16th socket wont fit the whitworth. A fraction too small unless the nut is well worn.

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 06.06. 2014 08:28 »
Hi Bill.
If you are talking about a swinging arm oil tank filter the size is 3/4W (7/8 BS), its the same size as the fork top nuts.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Bill ss

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 06.06. 2014 16:43 »
Hi Bill.
If you are talking about a swinging arm oil tank filter the size is 3/4W (7/8 BS), its the same size as the fork top nuts.

Yes thats the one swinging arm a7 the oil in it is about 30 years old and i don't want to use the bike until the oil is changed.

Allso will i need to take the sump plate off for the oil change?

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 06.06. 2014 18:29 »
The sump plate needs to come off as well.
I would be concerned if the oli is 30 years old, has the engine been run during this time, or just left standing idle.
You will expect to find a lot of sludge to be present in the bottom of the oil tank, and its not easy to flush out.. Main worry will be the sludge trap in the middle of the crank, if its any thing like mine after years of standing it will be completly blocked and prevent oil flow throughout the engine. Worst case would be engine strip down and inspection check up and clean.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Bill ss

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 06.06. 2014 19:44 »
The sump plate needs to come off as well.
I would be concerned if the oli is 30 years old, has the engine been run during this time, or just left standing idle.
You will expect to find a lot of sludge to be present in the bottom of the oil tank, and its not easy to flush out.. Main worry will be the sludge trap in the middle of the crank, if its any thing like mine after years of standing it will be completly blocked and prevent oil flow throughout the engine. Worst case would be engine strip down and inspection check up and clean.

I was told the engine was a rebuild with 19 miles on it,it has been run recently and the oil is returning to the tank,i think it has mainly stood for the last 30 years.

The last owner died and the family asked the local bike shop to sell it on for them.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 06.06. 2014 22:23 »
G'day Bill.
Yes remove the sump plate and clean it out. It would also be a good idea to remove the oil tank and give it a GOOD cleanout. Not knowing what has been done it's better to err on the safe side. The sludge trap "should" have been done in the rebuild.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #8 on: 07.06. 2014 04:19 »
I think this is a really good case for using a "flushing" oil - not recognised so much these days but in the old days it was always a good recommendation to clear out the sludge. Get it hot running at no load with a few revs for a while then flush it all out before filling with the good stuff ...

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #9 on: 07.06. 2014 09:25 »
You come anywhere near my bikes with flushing oil and I'll sic the dog onya. *bash* Just kidding mate but.
It will pick up the sludge (grinding paste) in the trap and feed it to the big ends then hone the oil pump. The good "stuff" might need to be 90/140 gearbox oil  *ex* No I'm afraid it's the old manual labor to clean it out.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 08.06. 2014 06:46 »
Hmmm, very interesting Muskrat, why would "sludge" do that, its "only" emulsefied oil after all, yeah it will have exhaust by products in it to create the mess, but if it has "grinding paste" then the ends are probably well gone anyway, plus if its blocked the oilway kiss goodbye to the bearings anyway  *eek*. or are you suggesting that the "flushing oil" would have that kind of stuff in it??
I understand what you are saying though that the only way to be thorough is to pull it all down, but thats not what Bill is really looking to do here, if the bike has only done 19 miles of running then surely just a flush (maybe with good oil  *smiley4*) then drain and refill??

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 08.06. 2014 08:28 »
Hi Jules and Bill
 it's because the bike has only done 19 miles that I would be worried about flushing oil too.
It's the first few miles that will create the small particles of metal from the running in process that the sludge trap will catch, also other than what was said somewhere what  proof is there that the bike has only done 19 miles, has had the engine worked on at all or been stored unused for whatever time.

If it were mine I'd be for putting the cash for flushing oil towards a tear down but know how it is to want to get on the road, suggest you buy some cheap non or low detergent oil, change the oil, give it a short fire up or small run and change the oil again, if it sounds good then enjoy it.
oil that's stood still for 30 years will have gone through many many temp and humidity changes (even in the engine) so will be full of water, water = rust on steel bits (bearing cages, gears, cams and so on)

best of luck with it though - enjoy

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #12 on: 08.06. 2014 08:32 »
G'day Jules, it also has lots of steel, cast iron, brass and aluminium particles. So after it's washed out of the sludge trap and into the bigends, it's splashed around and into all the bushes. Then it's pumped back to the tank. It's fine enough to pass straight through the tank filter (fly wire) and pumped around again.
I'm all for putting proper oil in and changing it after a good ride (50-100 miles).
I would thoroughly clean the tank first before anything else.
Cheers

Just saw Bill's post. Dito
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 09.06. 2014 02:41 »
Good perspective, thanks Bill/Muskie....

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #14 on: 09.06. 2014 09:13 »
Since becoming a mower mechanic I have inherited an oil suction pump and I would strongly suggest you consider doing the same.
When I think of all the years I have been cutting sections out of a plastic funnel trying to get it to fit under the tank, let alone all of the pans of oil I have put my fat foot into I really can not believe I have been doing it that way for so long.
So do yourself a favour & get a pump it will only cost about 3 times the spannar's price and will turn the second messiest job into a five minutes in your Sunday bests one.
Bike Beesa
Trevor