Author Topic: pinking gold flash  (Read 3425 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: pinking gold flash
« Reply #30 on: 06.08. 2014 22:15 »
oh and shall i turn the pick upside down?
nah -  actually the pics were pretty good
lets see how the richer setting works
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #31 on: 07.08. 2014 06:31 »
yes all to factory spec

Offline buggychief

• Active
« Reply #32 on: 29.09. 2014 04:59 »
i was having the same problem and indications of a rich mixture, mine was caused by a distorted float bowl which was sucking in air so the fuel was not atomizing correctly. i have an Amal concentric fitted.   

Offline Pim

• A's Good Friend
  • Enschede - The Netherlands
« Reply #33 on: 29.09. 2014 10:09 »
Sorry for hyjacking this thread a bit, but can anyone explain the term 'pinking' to me? I haven't heard it before. Does it have something to do with backfiring?

Thanks!
Slow but steady...

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 29.09. 2014 10:43 »
Pinking - also Pinging - is also pre-ignition although I think that might be something else really.
anyhow as I understand it, to much advance and the spark try's to knock the piston back the way it came sort of, results in a metallic click sound, can do lots of damage if left.
goes hand in hand with higher compression and advanced timing  and hills  (so sporty models have manual advance/ retard )
I did have it with my RGF but cured it with electronic ignition (better advance/retard curve I guess)

Excuse any lack of technical terms - sure someone will explain better
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #35 on: 29.09. 2014 21:19 »
Nearly right Bill. It is sort of like pre-ignition in that a burn is started without a spark (hot spot). This burn travels across and collides with the normal flame front produced by the spark plug. This collision creates a much higher pressure and occurs faster than normal so in effect peak combustion occurs too early.
A good read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking
Most commonly heard going up hill under load on an opening throttle. Hemi heads with high top pistons are the worst. Quick fixes are retard the timing or richen the fuel air ratio. It must be addressed, a holed/melted piston or worse (broken rod) WILL eventuate.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #36 on: 29.09. 2014 21:58 »
Sorry for hyjacking this thread a bit, but can anyone explain the term 'pinking' to me? I haven't heard it before. Does it have something to do with backfiring?
Hi Pim, the Dutch word for pinking is''pingelen'' Does that ring a bell? (pun intended)
Backfiring is when the combustion blows back through the carb instead of taking the normal route via the exhaust. May happen if you start her up with a bit to much of ignition advance. Can put your bike on fire if you're unlucky...
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Pim

• A's Good Friend
  • Enschede - The Netherlands
« Reply #37 on: 29.09. 2014 23:59 »
I see.

Well i heard of it Morris, but have no prior experience with the innerworkings of petrol engines. I know the basics but the devil is in the details:)
So am i correct by saying you have to set the fuel mixture a tad ritcher so it cools the engine more and the pinking should stop? as an imidiate/temporary fix?
Slow but steady...

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #38 on: 30.09. 2014 10:38 »
And retard the timing a tad. Usually only a problem with our A's once the compression ratio gets above 8.5-9 : 1.
The best quick fix is to throw her back a gear and rev it, don't labor.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #39 on: 30.09. 2014 22:43 »
i was having the same problem and indications of a rich mixture, mine was caused by a distorted float bowl which was sucking in air so the fuel was not atomizing correctly. i have an Amal concentric fitted.   
Hmmm.. never heard of a distorted float bowl sucking in air ?  Could you re-phrase that please?

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #40 on: 01.10. 2014 05:25 »
Hi,
I haven't read through all of this, so apologise if I've already commented, or its been said. I had terrible problems with pinking and plugs dying on my road rocket when I first got it running. Spent an age mucking about with ignition timing, carb settings and the like. Completely went away when I got my magneto rebuilt.
Cheers,
iain

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 01.10. 2014 06:44 »
Hmmm.. never heard of a distorted float bowl sucking in air ?  Could you re-phrase that please?

Happens a lot on Amal Mk1s. Air is drawn into the pilot fuel passage at the float bowl to carb body joint.