Author Topic: rear wheel removal  (Read 1980 times)

Offline vwphillips

• Moving Up
rear wheel removal
« on: 12.06. 2014 15:08 »
silly question but

my 1959 swinging arm A7 has what appear to have a quick release rear wheel  where the rear drive sprocket and chain remains fitted
when the wheel is removed.

It difficult to believe  that the wheel can be removed without removing at least the RH mudguard stay(on my other bike the mudguard flaps up)

My question is how difficult is it in practice and what does need removing

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: rear wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: 12.06. 2014 17:44 »
Once you realise how it's done you will find it's quite easy.

Put the bike on the centre stand on solid ground then:-

Ease the pressure on the 4 nuts that attach the wheel to the sprocket. 
Disconnect the rear brake cable from the brake plate end operating arm.
Disconnect the torque arm from the brake plate and swing to the downward position or slightly backwards after slackening the swinging arm end.
Remove the 4 nuts that attach the wheel to the sprocket.
Release and remove the wheel spindle from the right side of the bike.
Remove the spacer between the swinging arm and the brake plate if it hasn't already fallen out.

Ok so far??  So here is the big secret.....

Stand to the left side of the bike and tilt the bike towards you about 30 degrees from the upright position.  As you are doing this, lean right over the bike and remove the wheel from under the mudguard support stay on the right side of the bike.  It might help to put a block of wood under the right foot of the centre stand before removing the wheel but take care not to allow the bike to overbalance and fall over.

If you're a bit nervous doing this it might help to have an extra pair of hands to help with this part of the job especially if you're doing this for the first time but it's really not that difficult.

Good luck,

Beezageezauk.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.06. 2014 09:22 »

Sounds to me like you have a wheel from a '54-'55 fitted....?

Either that or if it has a bolt on sprocket it's a wheel from a '65-'69... A65/50 ?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline vwphillips

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 13.06. 2014 14:07 »
Thanks for that Beezageezauk

Typical design of the time, quick to release and a pain to remove.

duTch you have me worried now

Sounds to me like you have a wheel from a '54-'55 fitted....?

could you please identify my hubs?

http://www.vicsjavascripts.org/BSA/BSAHubs.htm

Thanks Vic

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 13.06. 2014 16:23 »

Ok, I was wrong, but the way you described it.......??
Them are stuff that others know more about..?. back to -...*beer*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 13.06. 2014 16:24 »
vic, you have the full width Bsa hubs not sure size of your front but if a shooter mine was 8inch there is a 7"variant your rear is standard full 7" width Qd hub from I think '56 following from the Ariel types which still used the same method of fixing has yours just diff hubs . The method of removing is as given in earlier post which was spot on, in this instance think DUtch I think got confused by you mentioning hinged mudguard ala plunger best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 13.06. 2014 16:42 »
Yes Vic,

You have the correct wheels and brake set up for that year.  As Topdad says, there were two brake diameters for the front brake...7inch and 8inch.  Yours should be the 8inch.  All rear brakes were 7inch so check that your front brake plate is about 1inch bigger in diameter than the rear brake plate.

Oh!!  I forgot to mention in my previous answer that you may need to remove your right hand silencer in order to get the rear wheel out. 

Beezageezauk.

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: 13.06. 2014 20:02 »
Ok so far??  So here is the big secret.....

Stand to the left side of the bike and tilt the bike towards you about 30 degrees from the upright position.  As you are doing this, lean right over the bike and remove the wheel from under the mudguard support stay on the right side of the bike.

Now there's a man who knows a thing or two about roadside repairs *wink2*

Vic, you got exactly the same setup as I have on my SA which is '58 (at least the frame that is). I have always found it a bit weird, as the cable has to make a strange bend up to the front lever.
I have often seen them with the brake lever upwards, which seems more logic to me. I was told that this setup was used from '59 onwards, but something makes me think it was even later. Maybe even '65 onwards as Dutch suggests?
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 14.06. 2014 11:14 »

Thanks for the niceties guys, but I'd be fraudulent to accept... *good3*.
I wasn't thinking of the guard, just that VW said 'quick release' I thought he meant a QD (crinkle hub),

A version of these were used on the '54/5 S/A, and slightly different again on some '65-'70(checked up) with a bolt on sprocket band, and with brake rod...
  DAmHIK... *ex*

Seems some '65 models had FWH, but not sure of any cable arrangement on them...but don't care that much either!
Australia