Author Topic: Washers for an alloy cylinder head  (Read 2047 times)

Offline lighthouse

• Active
Washers for an alloy cylinder head
« on: 08.02. 2009 19:25 »
Hi Does anyone know what type of washers are used on an A10 Alloy head? are they the high tesile type? and if so where can I obtain them? Many thanks *smiley4*

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Washers for an alloy cylinder head
« Reply #1 on: 08.02. 2009 21:03 »
A very timely question for me, also. Having just removed my head, I'm able to measure what I'm currently using, as well as the diameter of the landing area. First, I believe the answer regarding high tensile is, or at least in my opinion is, "yes." In the U.S. that means high-strength "Grade 8" zinc or cadmium plated steel. The important thing is that the washers do not deform themselves or the alloy when tightend down to high torque (I'm going with 38 ft. lb.). The fact is, I don't know what the stock item looked like, so I found the closest thing I could use from the nearby hardware store. By my measurement, the landing zones at the holes for the head bolts were machined using an 13/16" counterbore. Using my digital caliper, it apperas that their diameter is right around 0.814".  I found Grade 8 wiashers that are, quite coincidentally 0.813"-ish in O.D. and 0.060" thick. So, it is a snug fit, but they all fit in the landing zones without distorting, so, I think I'm good. I double-up at each location for a total washer thickness of 0.120" If I knew I could get them, and fast, I would prefer 3/4" O.D. x 1/8" thick. I should point out that part #2-2138 is 3/4" O.D. x 0.064" thick and, as far as I can tell, common steel.

Having said all this, I would like to hear from one (or more) of our experts to help sort it out and advise if my current approach is the right way to go.

Richard L.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 08.02. 2009 21:08 »
Hi Lighthouse, I use standard 3/8 x 3/4 steel washers which are obtained from engineering suppliers here in Oz.
Have a good look at the bolt holes in your head. They tend to become depressed in the centre with a conical shaped hole resulting. If this is evident, they should be "spot faced".
I imagine the holes become damaged due to over tightening of the head bolts.
   Trev.

Offline lighthouse

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 09.02. 2009 20:58 »
Hi The entry faces of the bolt holes on my head are being spot faced which should improve ability of the head to be tighened down correctly I need to find a supplier and further advice before I make a commitment as to what to use.
Many thanks so far.

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 12.02. 2009 02:23 »
Richard L. has it right.
I'm using 3/4" OD X 3/8" ID X 1/8" hardened steel washers that I got in 1987 from a tool supplier. I annealed them, drilled them out to 25/64", and rehardened them in engine oil. I torque to 40 ft-lb.
Comments re spotfacing, etc., are good advice.
     David
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline lighthouse

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 12.02. 2009 21:20 »
Hi David Many thanks for your comments they are of great intrest and will take all of these into account. however I continue to seek a supplier of the type of washes that will fullfil the role as normal steal or stainless steal ones will not do the job that i require of them. Chears David

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 12.02. 2009 22:00 »
Lighthouse,

I'm a little confused and don't understand how David's solution (or mine, for that matter) doesn't fill the role. His washers are 1/8" thick, softened for drilling, then rehardened. I like the fact that they are 3/4" in diameter and not the snug 13/16". However, if you accept that 13/16" OD will work, check out www.mcmaster.com and seach part #98025A031.

Richard L.

Offline lighthouse

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 13.02. 2009 20:48 »
Hi Richard i will take a look and order some Many thanks All for your help and assistance. David

Offline lighthouse

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 16.02. 2009 19:02 »
Hi mcmaster.com refused to supply my order saying it was to much trouble even though i ordered sufficient quantity many thanks i shall try else were. David

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 16.02. 2009 20:58 »
Hi mcmaster.com refused to supply my order saying it was to much trouble even though i ordered sufficient quantity many thanks i shall try else were. David

That's truly bizzarre.  I've ordered small quantities without problems from them many times.  Real sorry to hear that.
Alex

Too many BSA's