Author Topic: Gearbox query  (Read 849 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Gearbox query
« on: 15.06. 2014 16:58 »
Hi chaps. I've just brought my plunger GF out of storage and ridden it to our new address. I was very happy that despite not being run since last November she started and ran as normal. I did flush out the fuel lines before starting.
The schoolboy error that I made was to top up the oil tank first, completely forgetting that she would have a sump full of oil...things got messy on the 50 mile ride home :/
Since restoring the ole girl last year I've had an annoyance with gear changes when she is well warmed up. When changing from say fourth to third or third to second pressing on the gear lever has no immediate effect; the gear lever doesn't seem to depress; I have to lift my foot off and try again then the gears change. Is this normal behaviour? Is there something I can do to help the situation; such as use a different oil in the gearbox or change gear more slowly?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Gearbox query
« Reply #1 on: 16.06. 2014 10:52 »
Morning ,I've had this happen, a few years ago now but after Ileft my bike for a few months ,think I had to look inside the outer g/box cover and found crap and debris in the gearchange mechanism once cleaned it was fine, regards Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.06. 2014 12:21 »
I stripped and cleaned my gearbox to change the drive seal during the rebuild so crud is not the problem.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 16.06. 2014 13:40 »
G'day Greybeard. Is that a plunger or S/A?
I had a similar problem with my plunger. Was to do with the thickness of the gasket between the box and inner cover. I can't remember if I made a thinner gasket or omitted it and used silastic gasket, but it worked.
Ah I see your problem, your sposed to lift the lever to go down gears  *lol*.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.06. 2014 14:30 »
It's a plunger Musky.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 16.06. 2014 14:50 »

Ah I see your problem, your sposed to lift the lever to go down gears  *lol*.

I was thinking the same thing..... *conf*

The only other thing I can think offhand GrayB. , is maybe the clutch isn't disengaging enough...try 'doubling' it, with a throttle 'blip'....? But as you say, lever doesn't move....hmmm?
If you change the gasket thickness, keep in mind it will likely affect the layshaft end-float, which may or may not matter.
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 16.06. 2014 15:56 »
Dutch,
Goes into neutral while stationary and doesn't clunk, (much) when engaging first. I don't feel that the clutch is binding.

My impression is that if I do the gear changes really slowly, perhaps pulling in the clutch a second or so before gear changing then things are better. I have EP90 in the GBox.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 24.06. 2014 00:51 »

Yo Gray-B, sounds like the g-o, no real rush- mostly *eek*, I think I got in the habit of slow changes, as the Moto has a shift lever about a foot long, and big heavy flywheel, so could almost sink a tinny while changing...!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia