Author Topic: Local airshow  (Read 1186 times)

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Local airshow
« Reply #15 on: 28.07. 2014 09:33 »
I used to do a little aero modelling with my dear old dad before he died (at 61 dammit). Figured that I'd put that to one side and get back to it when I was too old for motor cycles.

I have since acquired a pulse jet and some plans for a plane to house it. Figured I'd run it control line rather than R/C. Kind of itching to give it a go, but just soooo many projects.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 28.07. 2014 10:25 »
Heard a low rumble to the north on Saturday, looked around for a while before I caught sight of it, the  BBF Lancaster presumably on it's way to Sunderland air show.
Just tailend on by this time so no time for the camera, co-coincidently I had two days previous watched John Sergeant 's "Lancaster" on the Beebs Iplayer, he's also doing (or has done) the Sea king and the Spitfire
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #17 on: 28.07. 2014 10:41 »
A wonderful sight and sound bill. " yrs ago it "overnighted" on our local RAF base and I had the pleasure of seeing her cross over the end of our garden at about 200ft with the gear still down ,the noise from one merlin... bliss but four my hair on the back of my neck stood up!! Can't wait to see the BBMF lanc and the Canadian one in August ,I'll travel for that ! Best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline charles whitfield

• A's Best Friend
  • Bore Da!
« Reply #18 on: 28.07. 2014 22:10 »
Took my Father in law to Old Warden about 20 odd years ago (he had something to do with the Atomic bomb delivery systems on Vulcans at Scampton) and it was superb
As we sat, and having watched various awesome WW2 plane displays, I remember being totally awestruck when a Vulcan did a slow and very low fly past, then lit up afterburn, and went vertically upwards
Respect!

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #19 on: 28.07. 2014 22:53 »
Fantastic even the over  used awesome ,!  sheer power and grace bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 29.07. 2014 09:06 »
then lit up afterburn, and went vertically

yep, if you've stood on an airfield when a Vulcan does that, fracking's a walk in the park
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 29.07. 2014 10:40 »
then lit up afterburn, and went vertically

yep, if you've stood on an airfield when a Vulcan does that, fracking's a walk in the park

Agreed. I have not seen the Vulcan that was returned to flight condition in the UK a few years ago but I have indelible memories of being taken to Farnborough airshow in the late 50's when I was probably about 8. The three 'V' bombers; Vulcan, Victor and Valiant were all there but when the Vulcan flew over at low altitude the sky roared and darkened and boy was I awestruck! Also at that show was a demonstration of the Flying Bedstead; the experimental machine for VTOL flight that was to evolve into the Harrier. The new Comet airliner was a big thing at that time as well.