Author Topic: Clutch Inserts  (Read 1823 times)

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Clutch Inserts
« on: 21.06. 2014 19:19 »
I have started curing the oil leaks on the A7 fixed the sump one no problem, stripped the primary side down to cure the oil leak from the back of the primary case have new felt washer and sliding plate  but the problem I have is with the chainwheel it has the six spring clutch and the Ferodo inserts need replacing but I cannot find anyone who stocks them  tried all the usual dealers Draganfly SRM Burton Bike Bits C&d autos who said that no one is making them anymore but someone must be making them as you can buy a new chainwheel with them fitted. Now I know someone will say fit the Triumph 4 spring clutch but I cannot afford to do that at the moment does anyone know where they can be obtained. The originals were made from cork now I could buy a sheet of cork and make some from cork but there are 24 of them and it will take quite a bit of time to cut them and am not sure if you can mix cork when the rest of the fiction plates are ferodo. Your thoughts on this please.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
Re: Clutch Inserts
« Reply #1 on: 21.06. 2014 20:26 »
Hello bikerbob,

In the other world I live in (Velocettes) we've dropped the inserts for fully bonded friction linings i.e. a continuous ring of clutch lining bonded to the clutch plate or chainwheel, and as far as I know there's never been an issue with this and is a standard replacement.

I get my chainwheels re-lined at Saftek:

http://www.saftek.co.uk/classics.html

Never had a problem and there service has been very good.

I'm not sure what the thoughts are in the A7/A10 world as it has been many years since I've had to do the clutch on my A10?

It may be worth giving them a ring?
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 21.06. 2014 22:52 »
That's exactly what I would do, Kid.

Trev.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 22.06. 2014 08:14 »
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #4 on: 22.06. 2014 08:32 »
I bought 4 new cork ones from Modak in Melbourne for a couple of $ each..
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 22.06. 2014 09:42 »
Morris, Wozza, I'm sure it's the friction segments on the chainwheel/basket that are the issue.
Bob I remember seeing replacement corks on ebay a while back but I'll go with cotterpinkids recommendation as well.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #6 on: 22.06. 2014 11:47 »
Yep... the little rectangular corks or fibers, there's 24 of them on / through the basket...
I got some from Modak a couple of years ago.. 
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 01.07. 2014 13:24 »
I needed a set on a Friday for a sunday ride...I just used a sharp hunting knife and cut them out of some flooring cork..took maybe 45 minutes..all up.. cut a strip top to bot length and then cut the sides...
I just cut them maybe 1/32 bigger each way and pushed real hard...no boiling no soaking...wasn't real fussy as I expected to replace them the next week...that was a few years ago...and the money has since been spent elsewhere...and I have maybe adjusted the clutch  once or twice a year.....and still works fine..and if it fails again..i still have enough sheet cork to do it a couple more times...