Author Topic: Heat treating Stainless Steel..?  (Read 657 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Heat treating Stainless Steel..?
« on: 21.10. 2014 03:54 »

Not Beeza related, but still Moto...
 I made a kick stand for my Gutzzi some years ago, and now it's sagged a bit so need to realign it. Just need to check the characteristics if I heat it and do the unbend...?

Did a bit of research, but thought I'd 'consult' *smile*....(didn't intend that honest*eek*), the Oracles first(second)...
  From memory, it shouldn't be quenched? but in that case, should it cool naturally or progressively or how, to maintain a reasonable temper and not bend again....(soon)??

Reckon this'll be up Trevs alley...but anyone is welcome...?      *respect*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Heat treating Stainless Steel..?
« Reply #1 on: 21.10. 2014 09:07 »
Hi Dutch,

I've worked in the steel industry all my life and my advice would be to heat it sufficiently so that you can bend it back into shape and then let it cool naturally.

With stainless steel, have a wire brush handy.  Preferably a new one or one that hasn't been contaminated with mild steel particles.  Your stand is liable to "Blue" when heated and a vigorous brushing whilst still hot will normally remove the blueing.  This trick of the trade could save you some effort polishing or the expense of Pickling Paste in order to remove the discolouration.

Beezageezauk.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 21.10. 2014 14:59 »

Thanks Beezageeza, that's about what I did, but without the wire brush- does that need to happen when still hot, or can I just reheat it...?

Lack of polish is not a problem, don't want to make it look too appealing......!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 21.10. 2014 16:30 »
Heyup Dutch

that's about what I did, but without the wire brush- does that need to happen when still hot, or can I just reheat it...?

I think you have to wire brush it after the initial heating for the best effect.  But if your stand has blued it wouldn't harm to reheat it and give it a try.

At the start of my first reply I was going to state that I was in the iron and steel industry:-  My wife does the ironing and I do the stealing!!

Beezageezauk.

Offline Pim

• A's Best Friend
  • Enschede - The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: 21.10. 2014 18:32 »
But this would produce an flexable metal, wouldn't you want an stiffer metal for a stand? Or would it get stiffer everytime you park the bike? I did a readup on metal a while back and came to the conclusion that over dimensioning was waaay easier than try tempering myself :)
Slow but steady...

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 21.10. 2014 19:10 »
I worked with stainless steel for over 40 years and depending on the grade of stainless being used if you heat it and then bend it when it cools it can be brittle it is not like mild steel where if you heat it and bend it then let it cool it returns back to it,s natural state. We always as far as possible would bend stainless steel cold if it was being put under stress.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.10. 2014 21:39 »

My wife does the ironing and I do the stealing!!

Nice one B-geeza.... *smile*

Just hit it with a small SS brush, made a bit of difference, but like I said, If it's too (any) shiny it'll look out of place...

Pim,, I thought that when I over straightened it (from 83˚ to 95˚), but it didn't sit right so made it 90˚....easy enough

Bob, it's 16mm, and I thought better than to show off my Hurclean strength to keep a nice tight bend *smile*

I first made it about 15 years ago, and only of late I've noticed sag, and been concerned that the more it bends, the more it WILL bend....it doesn't spend a lot of time on the stand these days....I park up leaning against the house-other side *whistle*

It only got to a dull orange in the process.......I'll just have to see how it goes..*beer*
Australia

Offline Pim

• A's Best Friend
  • Enschede - The Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: 22.10. 2014 11:59 »
You live and you learn:) and if y I u are set for the next 15 years you'll be alright i guess ;)
Slow but steady...

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 23.10. 2014 13:23 »
You might just want to check ...

I've got a home made extended prop stand fitted on my Veefer and that all started to sag a couple of years back. I had it figured for the stand bending but in fact it was the mount on the frame rail. I had to pull it off and weld in a gusset. The Guzzi frame is just mild steel, nothing exotic, if you do find that you have to do that.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 24.10. 2014 03:32 »
 CB, not sure what the Veefer is...Veefrer, Ceefer, RReefer..... *dunno*..... anyway- I don't have a lug, just a nasty looking home made hybrid of Cali/HD plate type mount, with a length of 16mm bent at 90˚ for the leg- but it works ok, so the only thing that can sag is what I unsagged....might add a piccie later, just it ain't preety...!
Australia

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 24.10. 2014 12:42 »
Sorry - Moto Guzzi V50 II

(Bandits over the briny and all that).
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza