Author Topic: serious rear brake cable failure  (Read 861 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
serious rear brake cable failure
« on: 19.06. 2014 02:52 »
I recently received this email from a friend of a friend and thought it worth sharing as they will not be limited to any local market:

I want to alert you to a serious fault with a replacement A-10 Super Rocket rear brake cable you supplied to me and I fitted (sometime) during the past year. The new cable replaced an original item that had a tatty outer, but was otherwise in good serviceable condition.

My Super Rocket receives very little use and is stored inside, under covers; I perhaps travel 100miles between warrants. Yesterday (13/6/14) as I was preparing to take the bike for a WOF I tested the operation of the rear brake lamp by depressing the rear brake pedal and the brake cable inner simply “pulled-out” of the clevis end. That the failure occurred as a test and not on the road in no ways diminishes its seriousness. The failure of any braking component under use could have life-threatening consequences.

I have attached a pic of the failed cable in situ.

I am bringing this to your attention in case other motorcyclists have this cable fitted and are not aware that it may fail at any time without warning. The incident has really shaken my faith in these replacement components.

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
Re: serious rear brake cable failure
« Reply #1 on: 19.06. 2014 04:19 »
Sorry to hear about this problem, however the effectiveness of the rear brake was probably only marginally impaired.
Clive

'54 GF,  '61 SR

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #2 on: 19.06. 2014 04:22 »
fair comment!  *whistle*
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 19.06. 2014 04:50 »

Nice bit of honest 'Humour' Clive... *bash* *smile*

I had similar once coming down a local windy mountain on my old Roady Rickett, but in all honesty I think I'd lost what ever holds the torque arm on....and the front brake was way out of round.....SCARY *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 19.06. 2014 08:35 »
had exactly the same when applying the rear brake to release the clutch centre nut, exactly the same kind of cable, the cable snapped at the clevis end, only the outer wires  snapped the inners just pulled through.
I now use a clutch locking tool (lesson learnt)
it is amazing how many bruises you can collect in such a short distance and time

(guess that why BSA made rear cables thicker)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 19.06. 2014 11:40 »
Thanks for posting that RR. I'm always weary of cables especially cheap after market ones. Had the same happen to a '56-57 Ariel type cable going into stop corner at Amaroo Park. Must have been good to watch, took the corner speedway style *eek*.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #6 on: 19.06. 2014 11:56 »
There is a very good reason why I rarely buy an over the counter cable and you have hilighted it.
Goes back to the same argument .
Owners always want a cheaper part and cheaper parts are never really cheap.

HE WHO BUYS CHEAP PAYS TWICE

OTOH we do have people like Conwire in NSW who make excellent cables if I am in a hurry and can not make my own.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 19.06. 2014 18:04 »
Hi All,
Holy Sh1t !!!!
That cable in the photo  looks thinner than the original ???
Still no excuse tho!!!!
Almost all pattern cable I come across are pure crap!!!!

however the effectiveness of the rear brake was probably only marginally impaired.

Clive,
That shouldnt be so *????*
Ok so I have put quite some time and effort into sorting the rear brake on my SR but it will now lock the rear wheel if jumped on in anger
Get the cable length and lever angles correct and it helps enormously

Regards
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 30.06. 2014 07:09 »
I'm going the failsafe way and modifying my cable to a rod which idea was found here on this great forum. Just means making up a splined lever at the cross shaft to go inside the frame and attach to a clevis and the rear is the old standard type screw up with knurled not and spring. So bloody simple and hopefully much more safe with less travel at the brake lever. Cheers. Gerry