Author Topic: Wet sumping acceptable amount of oil.  (Read 1718 times)

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Wet sumping acceptable amount of oil.
« on: 05.07. 2014 18:24 »
Whilst my A7 is off the road for some work I have took the opportunity to measure the amount of oil that leaks in to the sump, I removed the home made sump plug drained the oil then placed a measuring vessel underneath, after a week there is a half pint of oil in the container. What I am trying to discover is how long I can leave the bike without starting it. I have an A65 that does not wet sump at all at least I have left it for 2 months before without problems. A couple of years ago I sold my A10 which I could leave for about 2 weeks without any problems but 3 weeks and you got smoke out of the exhausts for a short time 5 weeks and you had oil on the garage floor so start every 2weeks when not in use. Now if I left the A7 for 2 weeks I would have a pint of oil in the sump would this amount cause any problems on start up or for that matter would half a pint over 1 week.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Wet sumping acceptable amount of oil.
« Reply #1 on: 06.07. 2014 10:21 »
Pretty sure it would pump out everywhere, favourite into the primary chain case don't ask how I know just take a look at my driveway  *conf*BobH

" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 06.07. 2014 12:09 »
I recently got my machine out of storage for the first time since last november. I have a small leak from the oil tank so was not suprised to see the oil level very low in the tank. I topped the tank up to the recommended level and started the engine. The tank rapidly filled to the neck and oil started to flow out of the pressure/overflow pipe above the engine drive sprocket. I had forgotten about oil collecting in the sump; doh! During the 50 mile drive home the surplus oil continued to lubricate chain/frame/tyre/left boot/road, etc etc. Seems to have sorted itself out ok; bike needed a good clean though.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #3 on: 06.07. 2014 14:22 »
The tank rapidly filled to the neck and oil started to flow out of the pressure/overflow pipe above the engine drive sprocket. I had forgotten about oil collecting in the sump; doh!
Hopefully you only ever do that once! The one and only time that I never checked how much oil was in the sump, the oil was unceremoniously  dumped via the breather all over the garage floor. if I have not used the bike for a while the first thing I do is to check for oil in the sump. Luckily I did not make the mistake of topping up the oil tank, but it still made a terrible mess.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 06.07. 2014 15:00 »
isnt there an old trick of removing the spark plugs and kicking over with your bad knees until oil starts returning to the oil tank in large gloops to avoid sump oil pouring out all over the shared drive? we used that one after every engine rebuild when i was young , single and well off.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 06.07. 2014 20:33 »
That's OK on a fresh rebuild Ed, but if she's wet sumped it won't help.
To the original  *????* My A10 cafe drops about 1 cup (250ml) a month or two (not often left for more than a fortnight).
My A7 plunger was dropping that much in a couple of days till I removed the pump and gave the ball and spring a good dousing of carb clean. It's now dropping a cup a week.
Golden rule : check oil tank before start up. If it's half full or less, drain the sump.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 07.07. 2014 08:11 »
your right muskrat, i remember now i tried but never had any success with that method. oil always dripped out of the breather hole if it was parked for a month or so. then poured out when started up.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 07.07. 2014 10:10 »

I really want to say just ride it, but understand that in cold climes it not so easy.
 Maybe if you know you won't ride for however long it takes for the tank to drain into the sump, you could just drain the oil tank into something, then leave it on the seat,and refill when you go for a spin.....?
 That way you won't double up....no offence Graybeard *smile*
 Added advantage- if you do it straight after a ride, any crap may settle to the bottom , and when you refill the oil, you'll have reasonably cleaner oil- or it could be filtered through something as well.....old sock even??

Actually GB, in your defence, it may be what I did way back when, but no way of knowing now *conf*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia