Author Topic: Fitting rockerbox  (Read 1193 times)

Offline vittoriobravo

• Active
  • Vitto
Fitting rockerbox
« on: 13.07. 2014 04:19 »
adm edit: split from http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=8536.0

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments. What more can i say is that i was told the engine got some work done on it. Not sure as to what was done. Was crated and shiped to australia from penang in malaysia. The rest of the bike looked a sorry state with lots of rust. I spripped it down got the bike painted. Tank full of rust. Bought a new old stock tank from melbourne.
Im in a rutt at the moment. Found a pinched rocker box gasket which was leaking. Pull the rocker box off and reaced gasket. Putting it back together i started running into problems. Using a torch and wire i managed to get the push rods seating into the rocker arm cups. Tightened the main four rocker box bolts down. Kicking slowly the engine with the spark plugs out making sure the rockers are working. All of a sudden i heard a loud click sound.
Noticed the exhust rightside push rod jumped out of rocker cup. Put it back again carefully done it again.
Pulled the rods out, they look straight. Checked the rocker cups the look ok. Pulled the head off made sure the valve not sticking.
Can somone give me some idea what im doing wrong putting the rocker box back on. Thanks for your help in advance.
Regards
Vitto

Offline vittoriobravo

• Active
  • Vitto
Re: Fitting rockerbox
« Reply #1 on: 13.07. 2014 12:26 »
Thanks for your reply.
Yes i actualy loosen all the tappets. I thought i may have damaged something. But looks all ok.
I may give it another go again.
One thing i have notice. On the right side exhust valve tappet the one that click off the rocker cap.
When i got all the rods in their rocker cups and crank the engine
 over by hand i notice the right side exhust tappet sits very tight with no gap. Even with tbe tappet screw loose. Tells me its not right because the rest of the tappets are loose.

Regards
Vitto

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.07. 2014 13:20 »
HI Vitto,
Stick the pushrod ends into the follower cups with a dab of grease, a dab in the rocker cups helps as well
Turn the engine to top dead centre befoer fitting the rockerbox
HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline vittoriobravo

• Active
  • Vitto
« Reply #3 on: 13.07. 2014 13:26 »
Thanks for your fast reply. I gjve it a go tomorrow.

Regards
Vitto

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #4 on: 13.07. 2014 14:37 »
Use rubber bands to hold the rockers up,
I found if you put gasket sealer on the under side of the gasket,
then put the gasket on the head..
THEN gasket sealer on the under side of the rocker box.
this way you wont spread the gasket sealer every where when using the push rod comb.
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"