Author Topic: Road tax disc change in the law  (Read 1525 times)

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
Re: Road tax disc change in the law
« Reply #15 on: 02.08. 2014 14:07 »
I think your reminder must have gone walkabout,  as I had mine in July for the A10.
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger (becoming a project)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 05.08. 2014 20:48 »
well Beezageezauk the plot thickens.
I tried to renew the apparently expired disc on line only to get a message saying something about the vehicle can't be taxed online and " go to a post office" .
I did this today and the computer in the post office rejected the application and (get this) advised I contact DVLA.
I got back to late to phone but did a Vehicle identity check, turns out on the DVLA site the bike is taxed until June 2015.
various possibilities
 1. I have re taxed it already and somehow replaced the old disc with the old disc   -  I'm too wise and enlightened  to argue this is not possible.
 2. I've re taxed it and just lost the new disc - this is very possible
 3. the DVLA knowing I would cock it up have decided to do it all for me - HA HA

4. in a few months time I'll find the missing disc while looking for something entirely unrelated

So I think if I just hang on to October (bit of mud on the disc holder) I'll be ok
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 05.08. 2014 21:22 »
Ok Bill....just put it down to a "Senior Moment". 

So the bike is taxed and that's all the authorities will be interested in.  Lets face it, the Police would do a DVLA check and will only pull you over if the computer showed that the bike wasn't taxed or insured.  That's the reason for abolishing the tax discs in the first place.

It's crazy isn't it?  We still refer to it as the "Tax Disc" even though it's free issue and no tax has been paid.

Beezageezauk.

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 06.08. 2014 12:36 »
I still like to think of it as 'Road Fund License'. That's what it was supposed to be for.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #19 on: 06.08. 2014 17:01 »
I still like to think of it as 'Road Fund License'. That's what it was supposed to be for.
Oh, if only! If every penny collected on that pretext was actually spent on the roads, the whole of the UK would be buried 20 feet deep under concrete. Same as if every penny collected for national insurance was spent on the NHS, and pensions, every UK citizen would have their own personal doctor and nurse allocated to them 24 hours a day, whether they needed one or not. On retirement we would all be living in some exotic resort living a life of luxury. Every government  since these schemes began has had its dirty little fingers in the till misappropriating  the funds. Now they blame us for the shortfall and accuse us of living to long.
John

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 06.08. 2014 21:44 »
I still like to think of it as 'Road Fund License'.

Why? Are you American? Or did you mean "licence?"

Same as if every penny collected for national insurance was spent on the NHS, and pensions, every UK citizen would have their own personal doctor and nurse allocated to them 24 hours a day,

How can 10% of my wage pay for a doctor and a nurse?

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #21 on: 07.08. 2014 10:24 »
TT without getting policital which I'm not, I think John was merely looking retrospectively at the way things were originally set up, the road fund  was just that but money was diverted as is the way of govts as the world moves on ,trouble is the more they need those funds the more they can excuse not using them for there intended purpose however well intensioned or not there reason is . The truth of that is the NHS and the welfare state were something set up in a far simpler times by well meaning men who had just fought for the right to change things to hopefully a better world and I'm incredably proud of what they did and still glad that we have it! By the way how's my spelling ? BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 07.08. 2014 10:41 »
TT without getting policital which I'm not, I think John was merely looking retrospectively at the way things were originally set up, the road fund  was just that but money was diverted as is the way of govts as the world moves on ,trouble is the more they need those funds the more they can excuse not using them for there intended purpose however well intensioned or not there reason is . The truth of that is the NHS and the welfare state were something set up in a far simpler times by well meaning men who had just fought for the right to change things to hopefully a better world and I'm incredably proud of what they did and still glad that we have it! By the way how's my spelling ? BobH

Your spelling is mediocre, but I'll have to speak to you after the bell, about your general demeanour in class.

I just thought it was comically blatant to claim that my personal doctor's wage could be paid by a 10% tax on my much smaller wage.

Did I tell you that they sent me a refund, when free tax discs for old wrecks was introduced?

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #23 on: 07.08. 2014 11:11 »
I just thought it was comically blatant to claim that my personal doctor's wage could be paid by a 10% tax on my much smaller wage
TT you have interpreted what I said a little to literally I think. What I said was meant to be tongue in cheek.  Sadly as is often the case the written word does not always translate humor, and irony from the spoken word as well as it should. I certainly was not making a political point. Both the political parties that have traditionally governed us over the years have been equally guilty. It just seems to me that the term National Insurance is dishonest. Why not call it what it is. A tax! In fact I do believe that the present chancellor is considering doing just that. Vehicle excise duty is a much more honest description than the old name; road fund licence. Being taxed is a fact of life, all I was trying to say was, lets call a tax a tax. In general people do not think very much about taxes and honesty, and of course politicians are only to happy to keep it that way. How many people are concerned I wonder, about the iniquity of paying a tax on a tax at the pumps? Fuel duty to which VAT is then added?
John

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 07.08. 2014 11:49 »
Anyway, I'm very fond of the free "Historic" rate.

The "no MoT" thing may be ill-advised, but it's saved me a few quid already. I've probably spent that on VAT on road fuel duty.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #25 on: 07.08. 2014 12:54 »
Ha Ha, well spotted TT ! must do better ,where have I heard that before , BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom