Author Topic: Removing a lawnmower flywheel  (Read 808 times)

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
Removing a lawnmower flywheel
« on: 18.07. 2014 14:59 »
Hi all, just to distract from BSA's for a minute I volunteered my services to a neighbour who has seized up his old ride on mower. I pulled the head off to reveal the piston will go down freely and the engine (now) cranks over but the piston doesn't move with the cranking! I suspect a broken or loose con rod, apparently old 12.5 HP Briggs & Strattons have a habit of doing either or both. Anyway, next step is to pull the flywheel off... *pull hair out* *work* *shh*.
Tried everything I have in the shed puller wise, including dangling it off a chain and bashing it with a 2 hammers on the side and on top, with the pullers engaged, all to no avail. oh yes and flooded it with WD40 over 2 nights too. Managed to bend/break lots of things but the flywheel is still firmly attached and intact - all suggestions considered for next steps please... *dunno* *help* cheers

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Removing a lawnmower flywheel
« Reply #1 on: 18.07. 2014 17:36 »
Don't know if you've seen this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CA4QtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKkaD3h8J6es%26autoplay%3D1&ei=U0vJU8XwDIOYyAS4-IGIBQ&usg=AFQjCNEelZlDcTzZQmbz8CmSxB4nh_sefA

It seems, nowadays, that if something is sorta common and is a lot of trouble, someone has posted their take on how to deal with it. Sometimes I wrack my brain trying to think up solutions, only to later remember a little thing called the internet, then I feel dumb and old for actually trying to use my brain.

Richard L
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 18.07. 2014 22:45 »

Good and well, except if as you say the piston/rod/crank, are not in unison..... *eek*

I guess the ultimate fixit if all else fails, is use a longer chain and lower it till the boat stops moving....   

*ex*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.07. 2014 23:17 »
 *lol* *lol*
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #4 on: 18.07. 2014 23:27 »
Depending on how old the thing is this might give you some idea.

Briggs motors are pretty good usually, they do tend to use a bit of oil but if you top it up regularly and even change it once every ten years they will go for a long time.

You might laugh when I say change the oil every ten years but I worked in the lawnmower industry for years and it was common for people to bring in a twenty year old mower that had never had a oil change. With mowers the rule is if it starts then thats good enough.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.07. 2014 00:25 »
 HahaHA- Brian, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a few with newer engine with the oil level cutout, come in because it wouldn't start, and all you had to do was add a bit to it....?

This was the case years ago, when I did concreting, going one way with the trowelling machine ok, and change direction would cough and splutter/cut out, finally check the oil and even though it registered 'some', added a bit and - Voila- problem sorted.... *yeah*

...doesn't get the flywheel off though... *work*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 19.07. 2014 15:37 »
HI All,
A trick I used on B&S flywheels, is when the pullers is done up tight.
Pour a kettle of boiling water over the flywheel and the pop right off *smile*

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 19.07. 2014 17:11 »

Actually reminds me that I have a Solo Rex chainsaw with same affliction.....it needs a 22mmx1mm internal screw-in type puller, thought I'd be able to just get one from a Stihl (they same), or any chainsaw shop, but they just look at me funny...can get one from internet, just can't yet quite justify a probably one off usage.
Australia

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 20.07. 2014 06:25 »
hi guys, my advise is to go to Bunning's and purchase a new mower, dump the old stuff,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 20.07. 2014 08:17 »

*eek*....that'd mean meeting the  grass.....! *eek*
Australia

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 20.07. 2014 09:25 »
hi guys, my advise is to go to Bunning's and purchase a new mower, dump the old stuff,cheers

The drive pulley can also be seized on and provide some entertainment too
A new chinese Honda engine can be purchased cheap, maybe a better option
cheers Tomcat
'48 A7 '59 SR '74 850 Commando TDM900

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #11 on: 20.07. 2014 12:51 »

The drive pulley can also be seized on and provide some entertainment too
cheers Tomcat

Better still.... stick one of these in ...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmnsXTMLzCE
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #12 on: 20.07. 2014 22:42 »
cheers Tomcat
Don't suppose you mean this, Tomcat?;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oH_Qb4fdHfg
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #13 on: 21.07. 2014 14:33 »
thanks for the light reading guys, broke up the frustration no end  *smile*, BUT its still on and firm  *sad2*. Incidentally, the video showing how to remove with a rattle gun looks really good until you watch another video showing the same thing except the puller snaps in half!  *countdown*, makes me feel not such an idiot after all  ;).
Thanks for the PM Bill, WD 40 is supposed to be the world's best friend, I thought, so I'll try some of your home brews and see how it goes in conjunction with the hot water treatment (or maybe an oxy!).
then if all else fails, maybe the boat anchor and replace with the Honda mean machine  *bright idea*..
thanks again for sharing your experiences, cheers..