Author Topic: Partial seizure  (Read 2939 times)

Offline a10 bobber

• Moving Up
Re: Partial seizure
« Reply #30 on: 23.08. 2014 18:37 »
Ditch the valve and have an excuse to escape the wife once a week to " do essential maintenance" on the old girl, when you fire her up to clear the sump.
 Works for me  *smile*

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 23.08. 2014 19:26 »
just to be clear, are you talking about an A7/10  or another woman
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #32 on: 24.08. 2014 19:20 »
Ditch the valve and have an excuse to escape the wife once a week to " do essential maintenance" on the old girl, when you fire her up to clear the sump.
 Works for me  *smile*

Amen to that ditch the valve and escape the Missus once a week at least.  There is no absolutely safe way to have  a shut off valve in the oil pump feed line !!!!  If it were possible to have a magneto grounding wire attached to the off side of lever, so bike will not start with valve in the off position, that could work for a time.  What about turning valve off, and not having the oil pump primed the next time you turn it on, so it is air locked and burns the motor up with seizure.  Also what happens when a piece of something or other comes loose from the motor and travels to the narrower part of the valve and obstructs the oil flow, and causes seizure again.  There are just too many things that can go wrong with a shut off valve.  Either fix the cause to begin with, or if the A-65 spring and ball set up works better, convert the A-10 to A-65 type. I personally park the bike on the compression stroke, after shutting down for the day, (blocks the crank oil holes with pressure down from the rod bearings) plus I have an SRM finned drain plug sump plate.  If it has sat for more than 3 weeks, pull the plug, and drain the sump back into the oil tank.  This has an advantage, it allows you to take the oil between your fingers and feel for  abrasive metal particles also. I have had some luck with warming the plastic extension tube, that comes with the carburetor cleaner spray can, and working it up through the sump two 90 degree bends to where the ball and spring live, and spraying the  BAJESUS OUT OF IT, so the sticky crud drains out on to the drip pan, floor, rag, etc.  But if the spring is just tired and worn out from repeated heated and cooling of the engine cycles, then you are  (SOL ).   (IT GETS BACK TO PARK IT ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE ALWAYS !!!! )   

BILL
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 24.08. 2014 23:13 »
Also what happens when a piece of something or other comes loose from the motor and travels to the narrower part of the valve and obstructs the oil flow

Kinda like wooden timing wedges..??

I personally park the bike on the compression stroke, after shutting down for the day, (blocks the crank oil holes with pressure down from the rod bearings)

Bill, I don't want to sound argumentative, and I often read things wrong...?..but wouldn't any oil, and also any loose crap in the sludge trap, be able to flow back down into and through the T/S main bush ...? It may give some back pressure to the ball valve for a while until it's ll lost to the sump anyway..? Also the holes are in the sides of the rankpin, so it would be the same if it's @ TDC or BDC.

I have had some luck with warming the plastic extension tube, that comes with the carburetor cleaner spray can, and working it up through the sump two 90 degree bends to where the ball and spring live, and spraying the  BAJESUS OUT OF IT

If you mean the sump oil pickup, I don't think there's any more spring-ball valves up there..is there??.. as far as I know the only ball up there is the one visible at the bottom of the scavenge pickup..with no spring, just back pressure in the return line- or have I missed something..?
 The offending ball valve is in the feed side downstream from the pump....you'd  only get at that-not- by going through the PRV....?

Personally I think better to park up with crank at BDC, so any oil flowing in can at least keep the crank gallery fed...?

..now, where's that bunker..?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia